Join now - be part of our community!

VGX XL 201 doesn't power on and beep

massof
Visitor

VGX XL 201 doesn't power on and beep

Hello,

my vaio xl 201 since yesterday after a crash during use doesn't restart. When i press the on button nothing appear on display and it start a sequence of beep till i power of the pc :thinking: . What's the problem?

Thank you

Max

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Max,

The following may help you to identify the problem...

Beep summary for Vaio’s

No Beeps = Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals
One Beep = Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine
Two Beeps = POST/CMOS Error
One Long Beep, One Short Beep = Motherboard Problem
One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps = Video Problem
One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps = Video Problem
Three Long Beeps = Keyboard Error
Repeated Long Beeps = Memory Error
Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps = CPU Overheating

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Hi, usual PC diagnostics apply;

Not sure if this applies to Vaio's, but try
reseat the memory DIMMs, open the case and find the two memory cards. Pull them out carefully and insert them again. Do a google to lookup instructions if you've never done this.
hold down F12 as it fires up from cold. This should allow you to select bootup device. Perhaps it's trying to boot from a CD-ROM?
hold down F8 as it fires up, to attempt a safe mode boot up.
not sure how the wireless keyboard syncs with the Vaio, but if a key is held down on a conventional keyboard, then it will cause repetitive beeps at bootup. Turn the keyboard off whilst it boots. Check no keys are pressed down. Sometimes keys can get stuck down, so hit each key to make sure it springs back up again.

What did you change on the box recently? Perhaps back-out any changes, and try safe mode until all backed out, then try a conventional boot (without holding F8.

If this doesn't work then it sounds like it's hardware related. 😞

Tony

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Ha! Rich was typing his as i typed my response. He's a "Vaio expert", so his view counts first 😉

massof
Visitor

Hello,

i think that this is the problem. I'll remove them, clean their pin and reinstall.

Thank you

Max

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome Max.

If cleaning doesn't resolve the problem then try a single memory module in all permutations.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat