Join now - be part of our community!

Touch Sensor Button problem on new VGN-CS11S

Pennywise22
Visitor

Touch Sensor Button problem on new VGN-CS11S

Hello,

My Mother recently purchased a brand new VGN-CS11S_P notebook. All seems to work fine except for the Volume Control ‘Touch Sensor Buttons’ which are extremely unresponsive. So much so, that they are practically useless.

These multimedia keys should respond at the simple touch or swipe of the finger tip.

I refer to the strip of multimedia touch buttons as I've pointed out in this image:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3401/3228536612_7a47e8f646_o.jpg

The Fast Forward and Re-Wind buttons on the left and also the AV MODE button in the centre seem fairly responsive. The Volume Controls on the right are the problem. They do not respond at all to a touch; it has to be a very firm press but even then they behave erratically, as though they are only just registering the presence of a finger.

Although the volume can be controlled via an Fn+F3/F4 keystroke, it’s quite annoying that the Touch Sensor Buttons on a brand new unit seem to be of no use :slight_frown:

Is there some kind of sensitivity setting in system software or a firmware update that I have overlooked? Is this a known issue?

Many thanks for any help or information.

Best wishes,

Paul (on behalf of 'Pennywise22')

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Paul and welcome.

Unfortunately such an erratic problem usually points to faulty hardware which usually needs a repair. I sounds like you have a below standard set of media controls.

You could try reinstalling the drivers but I think you will need to contact Sony Support and see if they can suggest a cure or as a last resort a repair.

It is likely that Sony Support will ask you to carry out a complete reinstallation of the system using the hard drive recovery to check that the problem is not caused by software that has been added causing a conflict with the drivers.

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/contacts/contacts.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons

:wink:

hugpache
New

Hello Paul,

I got a CS11S myself and it behaves exactly as yours does. What I usually do is to hold my finger firmly till the volume starts to increment but most of the time I use the Fn+F3/F4 combo so I can't say I tested the volume control much. Everything else works fine, maybe we're just doing something wrong (which I doubt)

Pennywise22
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I did suspect that the hardware could be at fault but was rather hoping it wouldn't be. Having set up the notebook to my Mothers' liking (put her pictures and music on and installed a few games, set e-mail up etc), the last thing I would want to tell her is that it has to be sent back for repair.

Unfortunately my Mother lives quite a distance away from me and I can't just nip round to try a few things. Ideally I need to collect as much information as possible before I pay a visit, to be prepared for what might need to be done.

Assuming the worst and the unit has to be sent off for repair, I expect that my Mother will not want to part with it and say that it doesn’t matter but it is quite annoying, knowing she has paid good money for what might be a faulty unit.

Thanks again for the post. I’ll let you know how we get on!

Best wishes,

Paul (for Pennywise22)

Pennywise22
Visitor

Hello hpacheco and thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

It's interesting to see that you have the same problem. I would now presume that there are more people than us two that have this issue that have not yet posted on forums.

As far as I know, these are a fairly new series of notebooks and maybe we are just beginning to hear about this problem.

Should I find a solution that doesn’t involve sending it back for repair, I’ll let you know.

Best wishes,

Paul (for Pennywise22)