Join now - be part of our community!

laptop black screen on switch on

profile.country.en_GB.title
paudent
Explorer

laptop black screen on switch on

VGN AR 71M six months old, switched on laptop this morning and blue screen appeared and started a system memory dump,
it then went to a black screen with options including start windows normally which i selected this then proceeded to say repair windows so i did, then the screen went totally black and no activity what so ever, i then switched the laptop off by the power button and waited for a while then turned it back on again only the power light came on, an the hard drive made a noise then nothing cannot even do a system restore tried to contact sony but they must have been closed
can any one help with this problem please
my worst fear is the processor has had it if so dont know how I stand with the warranty
if they wont repair it can a new processor be fitted
i think I might :worried: £1000 down the drain
Help please

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi the mechanicuk and welcome.

I would phone Sony Support on Monday. Do you remember the message on the blue screen?

Try this first: -

Remove the battery and remove the power adapter
Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds
Attach just the mains adapter and try to boot.

If you get no activity at all when pressing the power switch it is most likely to be a hardware power problem on the motherboard or a faulty hard disc.

Have you tried booting fron the Recovery Discs?

Don't worry, most things should be covered by the warranty.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
paudent
Explorer

Hi the mechanicuk and welcome.

I would phone Sony Support on Monday. Do you remember the message on the blue screen?

Try this first: -

Remove the battery and remove the power adapter
Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds
Attach just the mains adapter and try to boot.

If you get no activity at all when pressing the power switch it is most likely to be a hardware power problem on the motherboard or a faulty hard disc.

Have you tried booting fron the Recovery Discs?

Don't worry, most things should be covered by the warranty.

:slight_frown:
thanks for your reply.I could not read the screen not enouth time it auto dumped to hard disc, canot do a recovery boot the cd drive wont work, tried removing battery and the above you mentiond, thanks for your reply and your advice, this is very worrying it always happens on a weeked when you canot get a instant responce
My son let me use is laptop to ask on here. Its like loseing my right arm at the moment because I use the vaio to do family research and I take it around a lot it will take me weeks to update all the info, any way sorry to windge on many thanks