Join now - be part of our community!

help: power but no screen

carolann62
Visitor

help: power but no screen

Hi All, has anyone any ideas my VIAO has stopped i have green light showing power but nothing else
no screen.? many thanks :thinking:

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi carolann62,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Does anything happen when you press the power button on your Vaio, for example fan noise, HDD activity, etc.?

If not try this...

Unplug the power supply and remove the cable and all connected devices from your Vaio, then remove the battery.

Once done press and hold down power button for a full 30 seconds, then replace the battery and then plug in power cord. Once completed turn the laptop on..

carolann62
Visitor

Hiya
When we turn on the laptop the green power light lights up and the fan works. however the sony light under the screen dose not light up.

i had a window update the pc closed with out any choice. started up again all was well..... then when i started the laptop the next day the screen frozzzzzzzzze. it did not move for 45 mins so had to unplug it. when restarded it all lit up however the screen would not light up.
i only get the green light now and the fan.

any idears before i take it back to shop...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi carolann62,

are you able to boot into the BIOS.?

To boot into the BIOS start your Vaio and press the F2 key repeatedly..

carolann62
Visitor

hiya
no we have no BIOS
the laptop is only 4 months old.
it belongs to my husbands business
i have not told him that it has stop working as it has all his acounts and information on it............ i have not backed it up. ............opps

can i save any of it ?

CAN I GET IT TO WORK ?

REGARDS

Carol

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Your hard drive is completely safe it is a hardware failure only (well lets hope). The data onboard can be retreived via the data port on the underside assuming the computer is a recent model so don't worry. Most PC repairers will be able to back up the HD. Some of the new models coming out this spring have interchangable hard drive bays on the underside which makes life a bit cheaper for the DIY computer boffins not willing to take out the keyboard. Advise the company to put the laptop for a hard drive backup and THEN send off by setting up a case with Vaio Link through the company just be on the safe side.

greygaian
Visitor

I had the exact same problem with my vgn-ar21s.

It's very possible that your ram memory module is out order and does not load anything.
Try upgrading it,it's very easy to do it yourself

At least this worked for me

don't worry about this,it could happen to your husband ,as well

carolann62
Visitor

hi all.
im having the hard drive backed up. however ever time i opened a file it save it self again so i have well over 600000 files !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ever time we open a file it save it self again on the hard drive..
so open a file once save twice , open twice save four times, so one. . thus 18 hours and still saving hard drive and the 2nd hard drive still need backing up..... the lap top is 4 month old

husbands has for given me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sony are coming out to take a look.............

let you know how it gose..

thanks all

bye

x

carolann62
Visitor

just had a phone call regarding my data backup... due to bother drivers damage data can not be save...
he is not going to be happy.........