Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting a Set-Top Box to VGC-LA1

BenHudson
Visitor

Connecting a Set-Top Box to VGC-LA1

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to connect a Virgin Media Box to my LA1 PC.

It's got RGB connection, so I've connected the box to my PC, and Windows Media Centre recognises the signal, but when I try to watch it, Media Centre says I need an IR control cable in order for it to control the Set Top Box.

I've researched this a little bit, and all the ones that I find have some wierd connection that I don't recognise.

Basically, I'm just asking if there's anyone out there with an LA1 or 2 that has connected a Set Top Box, and how they got it to work?

Thanks.
Ben

2 REPLIES 2
dancingroom
Visitor

hi there - we have slightly different model - the LM2E [i think...] but get the same error message - we have tried using the co-axial cable rather than rbg.

We can actually see the virgin box playing in the small window during set up but it won't let us proceed after that as is looking for the IR signal just as in your problem

did you manage to solve yours? how?

just bought this as our main tv and have irate child to deal with as my attempt to streamline our living room has deprived him of telly!

appreciate any advice

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi BenHudson, Hi dancingroom

Welcome to Club Vaio.

This is a common problem but unfortunately there does not seem to be a simple solution. The problem is that Microsoft Media Centre cannot cope with analogue inputs and will not display any input through the TV card in full screen. The Sony 'all-in-ones' do not have the connections to use an 'IR Blaster' like the XL-Series has.

The only solution I have heard of is not to use Media Centre but to use an independent Analogue TV Tuning Program that can recognise the S-Video and composite video inputs as the AV Channel. There are a few of these TV Software Programs available free on the internet.

:thinking: