Join now - be part of our community!

BT Broadband connection

RichardHowkins
Visitor

BT Broadband connection

I hope someone can point me in the right direction with the following.

I've recently had some problems with my Broadband connection, which was rectified by a BT Engineer yesterday. However, I cannot now connect using my VAIO notebook via ethernet cable or wireless. The broadband is working with a different laptop (which is why I can type this now...)

On opening Network and Internet>Network Connections the Local Area Connection is shown as 'Unidentified network' and Wireless Network Connection as 'Not connected'. I have tried using the diagnostic tool which and also tried disabling and enabling them to reset, all to no avail.

I have spoken to the helpful helpdesk (ahem) at BT and they were not much help at all. I was told to run the IPCONFIG command, from which I identified the IPv4 Address as 169.254.14.207. I was told that "169 codes do not work with BT Broadband". I do not know what this means. If true, this feels wrong on BT's part dictating what equipment I can use.

So, I would hugely appreciate some advice on:

- Getting me up and running again
- Dealing with BT.

Thanks very much for your help

Richard

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Better takedown that Ip address just incase it is yours. Did you try a system restore to a time when the settings worked with your BT Broadband. Otherwise I fixed a feable connection using a dongle in a fringe connection range by restarting about five times. You can CMD> PING ip so and so but at the end of the day you need the software to handshake with the right driver updates in relation to microsoft updates in use at the time. Get a computer with a commection and get the updates you need for a Vista Service Pack 1 update status +

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Richard,
A 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address is an 'autoconfiguration' address indicating that you are not connecting to the network.

You could try running the following from an elevated command prompt (press the Win key; type cmd; press Ctrl+Shift+Enter; and then hit Alt+C to confirm the elevation prompt):

At the command prompt Type IPCONFIG /RELEASE {enter}
Then type IPCONFIG /RENEW {enter}

If that has no effect then I suggest that you google “Repair/Reset Winsock settings”.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat