Join now - be part of our community!

Are XP Drivers available for the AR71M?

ukd4v1d
Visitor

Are XP Drivers available for the AR71M?

Just got a AR71M and it's dog slow!! and belive it to be all the crap that comes with the laptop for one and the horrid OS that is Vista

I want to downgrade to XP but want to check if all the drivers are available for this laptop before i commence.

Also can i use something like ghost to backup the recovery partition of the hdd incase I wish to revert back to Windows shitsta?

I'm seriously thinking of sending this laptop back and sticking with my 3 yr old dell

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Welcome to Club Vaio.

Sony will not support your Vaio with XP installed so you may have to reinstall Vista before Sony will consider some repairs under the warranty.

Because Sony do not support XP on your model in any way there are no XP drivers or Utilities available and you will have to search these out for yourself from other Vaios or from the manufacturer. You will also lose all the preinstalled applications and there is no guarantee that everything will work with XP. The reasons for downgrading are far less now that SP1 has been released but the choice is yours.

As long as you retain and do not format the Recovery Partition, you can always recover to Vista by tapping F10 at boot which will start the recovery centre. Something like Acronis True Image can be used to mirror the drive including the Recovery Partition.

Have a look at this thread which will give you an idea: -

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=41647

:slight_frown:

ukd4v1d
Visitor

Vista is just sooo slow! it must be all the crap sony put on it along with all the crap that vista has. The two together makes this Vaio run like a Pentium 1 😞

I think i'm going to search long and hard before i make the switch, i'm pretty competent with computers I just really seeing if anyone happened to know whether the drivers are available.