Join now - be part of our community!

Android OS size on new XZ

SOLVED
WillHarris23067
Visitor

Android OS size on new XZ

Collected my 32GB XZ a couple of days ago and have been setting it up.

Just noticed that the OS and a handful apps (only about 15 additional apps in total) has used up 46% of the phone storage.  The OS alone accounts for 10.6 GB.  Just checked my old Z2 which is running the same Android 6.0.1 and it's 4.5GB.

I did use the Xperia Mobile Transfer app which although worked well did crash a couple of times so had to abort it and retry until it finally worked.  Could this be the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

One of the reasons behind the memory allocation is the 64 bit architecture and the other is that Sony usually reserves more memory in order to be able to cover all the requirements of a future android update.
alexdon

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

@WillHarris23067 You could give it a try and clear cache for the entire device and restart. You could free up some space. However, you can take a look here too:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3/Android-System-uses-almost-10-GB/m-p/1087946#M2521

alexdon
WillHarris23067
Visitor

Many thanks.  Cached data was only a few MB but did it anyway.  Just don't want to do a factory reset as it took ages to set it up how i like it.

Just wondering if the failed Xperia Transfer data is sitting somewhere 😕

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

You can also take a look at normal data from any apps you might have uninstalled but still have data stored. Although, android system takes a lot of memory.

alexdon
WillHarris23067
Visitor

Cheers, will check the uninstalled / disabled apps data as well.

Just seems strange how exactly the same OS on my Z2 takes up half the space.  Guess it doesn't really matter as i only use the phone storage for OS and apps and all media goes on the micro sd.

I wonder if Android 7 will take a bit more.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

As I can see until now, each cookie release occupies more memory, in relation with hardware intended for each device.

alexdon
WillHarris23067
Visitor

Had an email back from Sony tech today saying 10.5GB or thereabouts for the OS is completely normal.
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

@WillHarris23067 That's good to know. If I will find something else, I will let you know.

alexdon
DarkEyEinc
Visitor

Could it be because 64bit?
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

@DarkEyEinc Yes, that is a good point.

alexdon