Join now - be part of our community!

Writing data to Blu-ray

RASVAIO
Visitor

Writing data to Blu-ray

For the first time I'm attempting to write data files to a BD-R disc using the Roxio Easy Media Creator application. I'm experiencing issues trying to this with errors such as, "insert an appendable disc". What does that mean?

Can somebody send me a step by step guide to writing data to BD please.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi RASVAIO and welcome to Club Vaio.

What model Vaio do you have? Software varies from model to model.

You have checked that your version of Roxio supports BD-RE?

:thinking:

RASVAIO
Visitor

My laptop is a VGN-FZ21Z.

The Roxio package does support BD.

RASVAIO
Visitor

From the spec sheet, the Blu-ray drive in my computer write speed is BD-Rx2, BD-RE x2, BD-R DL x1, BD-RE DL x1.

The discs that I have are BD-R 4x. Could this difference be the cause of the problem?

RASVAIO
Visitor

The application that I was trying to use is Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 and I've since been advised that it doesn't support Blu-Ray for data.

Is there another application that would be installed as standard on Vaio that I could use to write data to Blu-Ray?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

The application that I was trying to use is Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 and I've since been advised that it doesn't support Blu-Ray for data.

Hi RASVAIO,

who avised you that Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 doesn't support BD.?

I have checked Roxio's Media guide and it mentions BD media, see image below.. :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you are right Thalamus.

Sony would surely include some BD Burning software if a BD-RE drive is included.

Easy Media Creator 9 usually needs a £15 plug in to record BD - see here: -

http://www.roxio.co.uk/eng/products/creator/plugin/overview.html

but Sony must have included this if they have not installed an alternative program - Thalamus, I think our AR31s have Ulead BD DiscRecorder installed for burning Blu-Ray, but I don't think this is available any more.

:thinking:

RASVAIO
Visitor

My thinking was exactlt the same, ie. if there is a BD writer, there must be some means of writing to BD.

It was a Roxio discussion forum that advised me that EMC9 doesn't support BD.

:thinking: :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Sony would surely include some BD Burning software if a BD-RE drive is included.

Exactly Blencogo, we have Ulead BD DiscRecorder for BD but on checking the FZ's specs only Easy Media Creator 9 is mentioned but as you say Sony must have supplied some burning software for BD's.. :thinking:

I'll see if I can get some info from Sony..

7hil
Visitor

I have had three Vaios with Blu-ray recorders.

1)Put in your BD-R disc. It should show up as empty when you click on Computer.
2)Open the Roxio program and click on the type of disc you want to create e.g. Data Disc.
3)Once you have selected the files that you want go to "options" and select that you only need the disc for one recording otherwise you will be creating an appendable disc.
4)Then burn.

It should be as easy as that. I use Sony and Verbatim BD-R discs and have never had a problem with burning Data Discs with the Roxio Easy CD Creator program that Sony use. If problems persist I can only think that you might be using newer, cheaper BD discs that the laptop doesn't agree with.

PS An appendable disc is a disc that you can keep adding things to. Problem is that your PC will recognise the disc but no other device will. Make sure that in "options" you have "create disc for one recording only" ticked!