Join now - be part of our community!

Vista Media Center keeps crashing when I copy new videos to video library

profile.country.en_GB.title
andcobde

Vista Media Center keeps crashing when I copy new videos to video library

Ok recently I performed a full system restore to correct a number of windows faults, before doing so I copied all my media files, pics, music, videos etc to an external drive.

Now having restored the system when ever I go into the media center video library after copying some of my videos back media center keeps crashing (it sometimes takes a few seconds and the cursor always seems to turn into the busy circle thing immediately before the crash suggesting it's trying to run something or perform some taks that is failing), the problem seems to be linked to the generation of thumbnails for the video files but that is just a guess. If i copy just a few files things sometimes work but I have over 500 files to put back and while it sometimes works for a few files adding more often brings the crashes back.

Any idea what is going wrong?

I tried restoring again and copying the video files back before doing any patching/updating and the same problem exits as when everything is fully updated :cry: , all other media is fine in media center and the video files are fine in every other application such as media player and play perfectly and of course worked fine in media center before the system restore.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
andcobde

Think I may have an idea noticed that the divx version the system updated to was newer than the version I had before the restore (the version immediately after the restore is of course much older) I'm thinking both of these divx versions must have a media center issue while the one I had before the restore (somewhere inbetween) worked. I unistalled divx and it stops media center crashing, can't play the vids of course but I will try installing an older divx version and see if that has any success.