Join now - be part of our community!

Vista for TZ series Clean Install

AJSG
Visitor

Vista for TZ series Clean Install

I must apologise if this has been posted in a previous site, but I have failed to find a direct referece.

Using information on this forum I successfully installed the XP Downgrade, however after several 100 hours of work on the install and drivers, the Laptop started exhibiting huge problems. Namely every time you closed the lid it would lose all connections and require a full reboot.

I do not feel like trying this all again and prefer to try Vista, especially after reading the article in Ed Bott's article on ZD Net.

Does anyone have a walkthrough of how to install Vista on a TZ series?

Personally I do have the separate partition, although I think it is a waste of space. Once I have installed Vista I will find out what resides there, and if its all Bloatware I will reclaim those 4GB and reinstall Vista.

I have no Sony Vista software other than what can be downloaded, but the first time I tried this I installed the Battery drivers, which forced me to reinstall Vista completely as it got itself into a Hybernate cycle caused by what it deemed was an incompatible battery.

I currently use a Vista Ultimate install disk, but my Vaio licence is for a Vista Business, and the OS will not accept the S/N under the laptop.

Thanks in advance....

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi AJSG,

Assuming that you still have the recovery partition on your Hard Disk Drive you should be able to return your notebook to factory default (Vista Business) by pressing F10 at boot (when you see the Vaio logo); this should take you to the recovery console.

Once restored I suggest that you create a recovery disc set .

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
AJSG
Visitor

Hi AJSG,

Assuming that you still have the recovery partition on your Hard Disk Drive you should be able to return your notebook to factory default (Vista Business) by pressing F10 at boot (when you see the Vaio logo); this should take you to the recovery console.

Hello Rich, unfortunately when you downgrade to XP Pro, the information held in the recovery partition pertains only to that OS.

Having had a play with Vista I can get most things working by letting Vista manage the drivers (didn't install a thing from Sony), however I don't have access to my HDSPA Modem, the AV Buttons and the Funtion Keys...although I saw the Sticky on the Function Keys on the forum head.

Thanks,

Andrew.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hello Rich, unfortunately when you downgrade to XP Pro, the information held in the recovery partition pertains only to that OS.

Are you sure... :thinking:

AJSG
Visitor

Are you sure... :thinking:

Unfortunately so, before asking on the forum I contacted Vaio Support and their only answer was to reinstate the C drive via the recovery partition. As I downgraded to XP, the recovery process reinstated XP...despite the TZ coming with Vista Business originally.

By the way, how do you get HDSPA drivers for Vista? Do you use the same Globtrotter connect software?

Cheers...

Andrew.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

As I downgraded to XP, the recovery process reinstated XP...despite the TZ coming with Vista Business originally.

Hi Andrew,

I never known that happen before.. :thinking:

Have you actually tried starting your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo screen pressing the F10 key repeatedly and running the recovery process.?

Did you create a set of recovery disc's prior to downgrading to XP.?

AJSG
Visitor

Have you actually tried starting your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo screen pressing the F10 key repeatedly and running the recovery process.?

Did you create a set of recovery disc's prior to downgrading to XP.?

Indeed, tried pretty much all the more linear processes before I came to the forum. I have read all the posts on the XP downgrade which were very useful 4 months ago when I originally bought 2 TZs. Unfortunately the Vista Bloatware was so unbearable that I immidiately sold one of the two TZs and was stuck with this one....as I really like the inbuilt HSDPA modem.

I did make a DVD backup originally but it is now unreadable, by both this machine or any other...even tried R-Studio on it but did not manage to recover a workable ISO.

I can install Vista off a DVD that I own, however even on the Vaio site there are no drivers or explanation on how to make the HSDPA work in Vista...does the Globtrotter software from the XP download site work?

Thanks,

Andrew.