Join now - be part of our community!

vista downgrade to xp

garytan67
Visitor

vista downgrade to xp

i am trying to downgrade to xp and havent a clue how to go about it... where do i get the xp service pack? and what do i do when i get it?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi garytan67 and welcome to Club Vaio.

This depends a lot on what model Vaio you have. Sony support XP on some models and not on others.

Can you post the Vaio model type? This will be in the form VGN-*****

:thinking:

garytan67
Visitor

hi..
its vgn-FZ19VN
the sony site gives me the driver downloads and told me to download the sata drivers to floppy disk which i did but i think i need an xp disc too which i dont have... sorry if this sounds stupid as i'm not too good on computers!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It is not your fault. I think Microsoft and Sony are deliberately vague in an attempt to put you off downgrading.

I don't think Sony provide an XP disc for you to use with your model. They do for more recent models by including an XP downgrade disc in the box. It may be worth checking the contents of your Vaio's box again but I don't think you will find one.

Microsoft say you must provide your own disc so unless Sony has provided one, you will have to borrow a legal copy of XP along with its Activation Code. You only need the Activation Code to prove to Microsoft that the version of XP you are installing is authentic. If you are downgrading for use with your company/job then hopefully your IT department will have a copy of XP for you to borrow.

Once installed, do not activate on-line but telephone the Activation Line at Microsoft and explain what you have done - Downgraded to XP under the terms of the Microsoft Vista Business license - and they will give you a new Activation Code for XP.

It is sometimes difficult to persuade a friend to lend you an XP installation disc along with the Activation Code - you need to explain that this code is only used to verify that the version being installed is genuine.

Unfortunately, Sony do not support your model with XP Utilities, so you will struggle to get everything working on your Vaio with XP. For this reason I would always recommend staying with Vista. Only if it is essential for your job or to run XP specific software should you downgrade but if you just need the basics, you should be OK.

:thinking: