Join now - be part of our community!

VGP-VCC2 Camera Problem

raulsaraiva
Visitor

VGP-VCC2 Camera Problem

Hey there!

The webcam from my SZ2HP stopped working, apparently due to some driver problem, as it returns: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". Tried to install the driver again (not through the back up drivers I have - couldn't find the .exe file for the camera - but from a file I downloaded from Vaio US), but it keeps not working. And when I say not working I mean it won't even appear on My Computer (not really installed, as device manager shows a yellow (!) on top of the camera). I'm running XP Business and I suspect the camera problem came with SP3 (not sure, don't use the camera that much - until now, that I really need it). Someone has a clue? Any hotfix for this?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi raulsaraiva,

This may be worth a try. I have not seen this error message for a camera before but it works for Code 39 errors with other devices. I don't think it can do any harm.

The following involves changes to the registry and I recommend that you set a System Restore Point.

Then:

1.Click Start -> Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter. For Vista, type REGEDIT into the search box and open it).
2. Navigate to –

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

click on this and locate UpperFilters in the right-hand window, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.
3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.
4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created that will hopefully cure the problem and allow the driver to be installed.

The driver may automatically install after a reboot but you may have to install it manually.

Good Luck

:wink:

raulsaraiva
Visitor

Blencogo,

Thanks fot the suggestion, but everything stood the same. Didn't have any UpperFilters, just the Lower ones, but after reboot and reinstalation of the US driver, Code 39 is still showing. Just found in driver details that one of the files is not digitally signed or whatever (check printscreen, please - sorry for the Portuguese), could that be the problem?

Thanks for trying!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you tried installing the camera driver from your back-up driver set? The correct way to install this driver is by the 'Have Disk' method as it does not have an .EXE file.

1. Find the device in Device Manager and double-click on it.
2. Go to Driver tab and select Update Driver.
3. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
4. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
5. Select Have Disk....
6. Select Browse....
7. Browse to your back-up driver .inf file. (\\Drivers\Camera\VGP-VCC2\MCV25U870.INF)
8. Next ..........
9. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
10. Close & Re-Boot

:thinking:

raulsaraiva
Visitor

No good, and I tried both the Driver backup I already had in my pc and also the Original Drivers zip file I found in Vaio UK webpage (which also includes an hotfix KB909667 that won't run, as "Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer that the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.").
Just found that there are a bunch of audio/video drivers with the same Code 39 issue (check printscreen), so I'm now trying to solve them as well (never noticed they weren't working before, though) expecting they're interlinked somehow and my camera will be running in no time. Not that hopeful, though...

raulsaraiva
Visitor

Hey!

Couldn't update that other drivers malfunctioning as I didn't find the driver files for most of them, surely they aren't needed (I hope!).
Meanwhile I installed DriverMax (do anyone uses it?) which finds all my drivers to be working properly, except the Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC2 one, as it found a -1 (yes, minus 1) number of driver files (check printscreen, with the report files on the right). It also returned an error log that I present here (check attachments) hoping anyone can make sense of it and give some suggestion on how to proceed.

Thanks!

raulsaraiva
Visitor

No ideas??

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi raulsaraiva,

This may be worth a try. I have not seen this error message for a camera before but it works for Code 39 errors with other devices. I don't think it can do any harm.

The following involves changes to the registry and I recommend that you set a System Restore Point.

Then:

1.Click Start -> Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter. For Vista, type REGEDIT into the search box and open it).
2. Navigate to –

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

click on this and locate UpperFilters in the right-hand window, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.
3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.
4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created that will hopefully cure the problem and allow the driver to be installed.

The driver may automatically install after a reboot but you may have to install it manually.

Good Luck

:wink:

Hi raulsaraiva

I have found a similar solution to the CD/DVD code 39 fix, that Blencogo posted, that seems to work on webcams..

It would be wise to back up your registry first, here is a GUIDE

Modify the registry at your own risk...

Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) as above..

Locate the UpperFilters and LowerFilters value under the following key in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

Delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters value

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor.

Restart your computer.

raulsaraiva
Visitor

Thalamus,

Deleted the UpperFilters in the folder you suggested (no LowerFilters this time), no change.

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

You meant deleting the whole folder or just explaining me how to delete the X-Filters?

Thanks anyway

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi raulsaraiva,

Apologies - I've been in bed for a few days with a bug.

Sorry to see that you have not solved it yet. I'm not sure I can add much except to say that all those other drivers with warnings seem to do with Teletext and TV subtilites in the USA - so you won't need them.

In the post above where it says "Drivers -1" what is the file starting with 'oem_no_driverma.......'? Perhaps you have a file missing? Perhaps the installer information file (.INF)? Perhaps Mcv25U870.inf?

Also what is in the file '_error_log.txt'?

I attach MCV25U870.inf. Try using this to replace the 'oem_no_driverma......' and then try to reinstall the driver from Device Manager (it MUST be done from Device Manager) using the 'Have Disc' method descrived in a post above and pointing the installer at the file MCV25U970.INF

It has to be something fairly simple. I suspect Vista has tried to install its own generic windows driver containing the .sys and .cat file but without the Sony modified .INF

:thinking: