Join now - be part of our community!

vgp-prav2

Mjolinor
Visitor

vgp-prav2

I had a vgn-a217s and it died. I also had a vgp-prav2 docking station for it. I bought a second hand vgn-a397xp as it is almost the same computer as the 217.

The docking station works fine as far as the amplifier and USB goes but I can't figure how to get the TV card working under XP. I have a restore partition on the 397 and I have the original restore disks for the 217.

Will the 217 restore allow me to get the TV card working, what can I remove from the 217 restore CDs to make it work or, if not, how do I do it.

Maybe I should just remove it all and put Linux on.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mjolinor and welcome to Club Vaio.

The TV card will only work with Vaio Zone so Linux is no answer.

Try installing the Original MPEG Encoder Driver - this is the TV card driver.

You can find it on your A217S Recovery Disc in the Drivers folder or you can download it from the A417S drivers here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN...

Hopefully that will work by itself - but if it doesn't then you may have to reinstall Vaio Zone

:wink:

Mjolinor
Visitor

Thanks for that, no .luck so far.

I downloaded the "Original MPEG encoder driver" from your link and installed it. No TV in Viao Zone

I uninstalled Vaio Zone and reinstalled from the recovery partition of the 397. No TV

I uninstalled Vaio Zone, reinstalled the driver then reinstalled Vaio Zone from the 217 recovery disks. No TV.

Any more suggestions?

A couple more questions:
What about the remote control?
Is there a search facility on this forum?

Mjolinor
Visitor

Is there a reason I should use the A417 driver rather than the A217?

It is finding it as it isn't there when I undock but appears in the device manager when I dock so I think that the Vaio Zone version for the 397 doesn't have TV in it and when I insert the 217 disk it is still installing from the recovery partition. If I insert the second 217 recovery disk it tells me it's the wrong computer.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry but I can't think of the way forward. Vaio Zone cannot be downloaded and is only available on Recovery Discs.

Is there a TV Channel Settings section in Vaio Zone Setup? Have you tried scanning for channels?

For the Remote Control, you need to install the Vaio Zone Remote Commander.

:slight_frown:

Mjolinor
Visitor

There is no TV tab at all in the settings. I tried searching for a config file but failed. Looks like it's an eBay job, get some money back. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help trying anyway.