Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FZ31Z Downgrade to XP

BrettLefty
Visitor

VGN-FZ31Z Downgrade to XP

Is it possible? Every time I try to enter my info on the vaio downgrade page, it doesn't work, and won't let me download the drivers.

URL: http://www.vaio-link.com/os/xp/downgrade/index.asp?site=voe_en_gb_cons&m=3059

Dear customer, it seems that there is a problem with the details you have provided.

* Please make sure all fields are correctly filled in.
* Please make sure your product code and serial number are correctly filled in.
* Please make sure that you selected the correct download page for your Vaio model.

What's the deal?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi BrettLefty and welcome to Club Vaio.

What's the deal?

Unfortunately, that downgrade page is only for models where Sony supports a downgrade to XP. Sony does not support a downgrade for any of the FZ11, FZ21 or FZ31 series and so XP Drivers and XP Utilities do not exist for you to download.

The FZ-Series of Vaios is designed for use with Vista and it is not possible to get everything working properly with XP. Basic functionality can be achieved by using the Sony XP Downgrade Drivers for the FZ29 and by searching for an XP Graphics driver from www.LaptopVideo2Go.com. (The FZ29 has Intel integrated graphics).

However, there are no working utilities for the FZ-Series so the following will not work after a downgrade to XP: -

1. AV Mode Button can not be used.
2. Instant On mode can not be used.
3. Fn+F5/Fn+F6 Function Key(Brightness Control) can not be used.
4. Fn+F10(Zoom in/out function) can not be used.
5. When connect with HDMI, the sound output does not work.

In addition you will lose all the preinstalled software (WinDVD BD Blu-Ray player, Photoshop, Premiere, Roxio etc.). None of these Applications are downloadable.

:wink:

BENDEROS
Visitor

av buttons working good,Fn+F5/Fn+F6 Function Keyworking,bat not totaly correct. search right drivers... good luck

Tykew
Visitor

Hi,

i recently purchased FZ31Z as well and imedietelly downgraded to Windows XP (cuz Windows VISTA is like some serious illnes or epidemy for any computer :devil: ). As U did, i also had some troubles to solve not supported "FN + F5, FN + F6" control keys. Magnify (FN+F10) i don't use i have Microsoft mouse with magnify buton (by the way does not work on Win Vista properly - and it is microsoft software and harware :smileygrin: useless under Vista => U can see, that even microsoft does not know how to make work older hardware or drivers under Vista :thinking: ).

My solution: Using 3rd party software to control things like brightness control (every gfx card knows how to) and i also use LCD off software, which is missing on "FN" keys at all.

I USE THIS FREEWARE (but there ale plenty of other usefull soft) To brightness control use Volumouse - support hot keys and mouse

As HOTKEY LAUNCHER U can use some of these(but there are also many different apps) to run MonitorOFF aplication

However these applications does not support FN key either, but i use CTRL instead :wink: Both eats small amount of sys resources and both freeware :smileygrin: