Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO to TV

Jonpod
Visitor

VAIO to TV

Hello everyone,

I have a VAIO VGN-FE31Z. I have tried connecting it to my Samsung LCD tv via a VGA cable. It works fine on my friend's Evesham laptop but the TV does not even recognise there is a signal from my VAIO. I have spent the whole day trying to find a way of contacting Sony by telephone about this (Samsung say there's a problem with the graphics card in Sony Laptops) but the 5th telephone number I have is dead!

Can anyone help me with this please?

Many thanks,
John

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi John and welcome to Club Vaio.

Unfortunately the news is not good. On some Vaio models there is a conflict with Samsung diaplays when using the VGA connection.

I do not think there is a known solution. Check with Sony Support to see is a solution has been found since I last heard.

I believe the problem is a 50:50 thing with some (but not all) Samsungs being the only displays in the world that need a full 5 volts on pin#9 and some older model Vaios which are the only laptops not to provide a full 5 volts from pin#9.

:slight_frown:

Jonpod
Visitor

Thanks a lot for your reply! You're right, it's not good news is it? lol
I have emailed VAIO support so I will wait and see. I'll let you know what they say.

Do you know of another way I can connect to a my TV then? It has HDMI sockets if that helps.

Really appreciate your help so thanks!

John

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi John,

Hopefully Sony may have some ideas.

Your only alternative is your S-Video out socket. If your TV has a S-Video input you should get an acceptable picture.

Unfortunately S-Video does not carry sound so you will need an audio cable from the 3.5mm stereo headphone jack to two phono sockets which will plug into your TV's stereo in.

:wink: