Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO A417S does not start up. Lights on. No Fan/No HD/No Screen...Help!

yossidahan613
Visitor

VAIO A417S does not start up. Lights on. No Fan/No HD/No Screen...Help!

Problem with my sony Vaio A417S - When turning the laptop on all the lights flash and then go off leaving only the power and battery lights on. Nothing happens after this - The fan does not spin and the screen does not turn on.

I've replaced the battery, re-seated the RAM/replaced the RAM but this has not helped. I have also tried running the laptop without the memory in the second memory bank.
Occasionally (Very very occasionally!) when the machine does boot (and the fan runs) it gets as far as the flahing Vaio logo and then returns back to its vegetated state.

Need some advanced help here! Would be greatly appreciated! :thinking: :thinking:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Sounds bad. on reboot (assuming you can get it to) tap F1 go into the diagnostic >advanced>last known good configaration. Safe mode F2 try bring up the command prompt and CHKDSK/F. Otherwise you have done everything asside of your recovery disk. you can go into the recovery by rebooting with youre backed up recovery disk and do a diagnostic or system restore even recover data. If you can get in i guess and it sounds like you will need to set up a case with Vaio Link or a local computer shop

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi yossidahan613,

are you able to boot into the BIOS.?

To enter the BIOS start your Vaio and Press F2 when you see the Vaio logo.

yossidahan613
Visitor

I cant seem to enter the bios as the Vaio logo does not show. Took the Laptop apart to check for any loose connections today and put it back together again - but the same problem!

I have had this problem before about two years ago and Sony claimed it was a faulty motherboard and charged me £550 GBP!!!

When I said the vaio logo shows - i mean it shows maybe 1 out of 200 times i turn on the computer...... :slight_frown: