Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading RAM and warranty question

profile.country.en_GB.title
leekendr
Visitor

Upgrading RAM and warranty question

I have just bought the 2 year warranty extension for my FZ21M, and im also thinking about upgrading my RAM. If i bought some RAM from crucial.com then would it effect the warranty at all? also does the warranty cover the charger?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi kendo88,

Sony clearly states the following regarding updating Vaio's RAM ..

Any damage that might occur due to upgrading the memory of your VAIO will NOT be covered by the warranty.

The choice to upgrade would have to be yours, just be sure you know what you are doing and careful follow the RAM upgrade guide, as other have done in the past..

If you need to make a warranty claim you could always replace your original RAM.. :wink:

If you need a guide on how to upgrade the RAM on your Vaio, then click the following link: How do upgrade my Vaio's memory ?

According to the FZ 21's Technical Specifications your Vaio’s Ram is upgradable to 4 GB, crucial list the following RAM as compatible with your VAIO, use the link to view: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ21 Series Laptop

Note if you install matching 2GB memory modules your Vaio will benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel support..

also does the warranty cover the charger? 

Yes as far as I am aware your Sony supplied charger is covered by the guarantee..

profile.country.en_GB.title
leekendr
Visitor

awesome. Also if say I bought RAM from Crucial.com how does it compare to the sony RAM already installed, is it the same quality?

I dont know much about RAM and different types, but I know like people buy Corsair and other top brands for more efficient RAM

profile.country.en_IE.title
sonypass33
Visitor

Crucial do good RAM.
I have the same laptop (the S version) as you and threw 4Gigs into it a while ago.
It's very easy to do, just follow the guide Thalamus posted.