Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Solution V00185?

Kimpers
Visitor

Sony Solution V00185?

I have just bought a VGN-FW21L, and I am well pleased with it ...but I need to upgrade it to Vista Business (which apparently means a fresh install). I have created Restoration Disks (although I couldnt get them to verify properly) in order to recover the VAIO proprietary applications (...I have downloaded the original drivers from Sony). Apparently, you can recover these progams using SONY Solution V00185. Has anyone managed to do this (in which case I would be interested to know where the Vaio recovery utility is). Also, what does this Solution mean by the requirement for a Hard Disk Drive Recovery device Thanks :thinking:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kimpers and welcome to Club Vaio.

Unfortunately, V00185 only works if you are still using the original Sony OEM Operating System.

I don't think you can recover the preinstalled Applications if you do a clean install - they will be lost as they cannot be downloaded.

I don't know why you must have Vista Business but if it is for using on a work Domain, have you considered Vista Ultimate which is an allowable upgrade from Vista Home Premium.

:thinking:

Kimpers
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

...thats good advice

Would the Ultimate install be an upgrade? If so, would the installed applications still work??

I have now managed to produce Recovery DVDs that verify properly - I have also proved my system by recovering from the restored image on the hard disk. So the computer is indeed working perfectly...

BTW although I have MSDN access to Microsoft applications, that precludes Ultimate.

Many Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would check this with Sony but I seem to recall that all that was needed on the most recent Vaios to upgrade is a Vista Ultimate Product Key.

As with a Vista install disc, I think all the software for every version of Vista is pre-loaded and all that is needed to upgrade is to change to an Ultimate Key.

Check with Sony but this would make your life easier as all Applications, software and settings will be retained.

:thinking: