Join now - be part of our community!

SONY DVD RW DW D56A PFS2

SONY DVD RW DW D56A PFS2

Hello,
Is it easy to change the DVD drive all together on my Sony Vaio? As my own does not recognise empty CD-R (Sony, TDK, Verbetim, etc).
Sam

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sam,

Yes, the DW-D56A drive has an awesome reputation for being rubbish.

Some Vaios are more difficult than others!

If you tell us what model Vaio you own, we can probably help.

[:-/

Hi, Thanks for your reply. The model number is: FS VGN-FS115S

It looks so compact, so didn't think the DVD-drive can be changed.

In fact, I thinks its been struggling to recognise CD-Rs since I purchased it three years ago. I just thought it was the quality of the CD-Rs.

Sam

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately, it is a bit of a job to change the drive on your model because it is held in by 3 screws and you need to take the bottom off to get at them.

Manual is attached below: -

:slight_frown:

Thank you very much Blencogo.

So should I buy the same one again, and if no more in stock what can I get or which is compatible with my laptop?

Gonna need to back up stuff eh?

Sam

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sam.

Whatever you do DON'T buy another one!!!

Any Slimline (1/6H) size IDE drive will do.

The DW-D56A is a Sony 'badged' Lite-On drive - buying the same make may help when it comes to refitting the faceplate that matches your Vaio's shape.

Have a look at this one: -

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141994

or this one: -

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=3681&ref=googlebase&id=3675

Google will find you lots more.

:wink:

Hi,

I went to a local shop on the way to work.

The dealer said he can order one and fit it for me for a sum total of £80.00

I said I'll bring it in on Saturday.

I called him back to get the make/model, but he seemed peturbed and said he'll get back to me. Never got back.

The ones you showed me are less than £30.00, so his labour must be a credit-cruncher!

Am I being severely, moderately or mildly duped?

Should I leave things be: let him make some money, or cancel? However, I'm getting fed up with the headache. And don't really feel like opening my sweet sony vaio. As a physician (not a surgeon) may just make that final fatal incision.

But you have been the best help ever. Sony vaio couldn't have done better. They just said try that and try this!

I owe you a bottle of beer, when all is over.

Sam

profile.country.en_IE.title
sonypass33
Visitor

buying the same make may help when it comes to refitting the faceplate that matches your Vaio's shape.

:wink:

That's some good advice, swapped mine a few years ago on an older vaio and the faceplate wouldn't fit back on. I could have made it fit by cutting off a small piece of plastic but just couldn't bring myself to do it in the end.

It's a fairly easy procedure so I'd do it yourself as 50 beer tokens for about 30mins work is a bit much. Just remember which screws go where.

Thanks p2p2p & Blencogo,

I'm happy I'm a Club Vaio member.

Sam