Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery Problems...

richiow
Visitor

Recovery Problems...

Hello everyone.. I hope someone can advise me with a major problem..
I purchased a Sony Vaio laptop VGN-AR88E for my son a short while ago and he informed me that because of unwanted software pre-installed he decided to format & wipe the partitions on his drive. This was done before he made a set of 2 recovery disks. I contacted Sony and two recovery disks arrived this morning. The main problem is as follows...
When booting from disk 1 he chooses the full recovery option and when it asks him if hes sure he ticks the box and continue.. hes then given the following message.. "Error 403". Hes tried both options as full recovery or just recover the c drive and continues to recieve this error. So far he has a blank laptop and we cant get it recovered.. has anyone have any helpfull advise?
Regards

Richard

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Richard and welcome to Club Vaio.

Error 403 means "Request is Forbidden" or you have made an illegal request.

I guess the model version in the BIOS does not match the model compatibility of the discs.

First, try resetting the BIOS defaults as the BIOS may have become corrupt: -

1. Turn on your VAIO.
2. When you see the first Sony logo, press F2 several times.
3. You will get the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility window.
4. Press F9 to get default values and then press ENTER to confirm.
5. Press F10 to save changes and exit and then press ENTER to confirm.
6. You have restored the default values and your VAIO will now restart.

Now try to boot from the discs. You must choose the "Restore Complete System" and then skip any suggestions to fix the problem and choose Next.

If it fails again you will need to contact Sony again because they have probably sent you the wrong discs.

:thinking: