Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery Discs

davehurst
Visitor

Recovery Discs

Hi all, I have a Vaio VGN-CR11Z/R. The hard drive is dying badly but I can't create the recovery discs. Looks like the bit on the drive that stores all the recovery bits and bobs has gone. Question, we bought 3 of these machines all at the same time, can I use one of the other machines to create a set of recovery discs for my machine. I have just bought a new hard drive. Do the recovery discs re-install windows vista and all the drivers.

Thanks for reading.
Dave

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dave,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

we bought 3 of these machines all at the same time, can I use one of the other machines to create a set of recovery discs for my machine.

You have nothing to lose in creating a set of recovery disc's from one of your other CR11Z and then use those to reinstall the OS, etc on the other CR11Z with the new HDD..

If the above fails you can purchase a set of recovery disc's by contacting Sony Vaio support, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

Do the recovery discs re-install windows vista and all the drivers.

The recovery disc's restore the original OS, drivers and pre-installed applications, etc..

profile.country.en_IE.title
sonypass33
Visitor

Another Recovery disc issue

If you get a minute check the post below

http://club.vaio.sony.ie/clubvaio/ie/en/forum/viewthread?thread=60039

davehurst
Visitor

Hi all,
Thanks for your help so far. I can only get hold of one of the other Vaio's next week to try to get the recovery discs done. Can anyone tell exactly what type of dvd's are needed.The paper manual is note very good at say what i need.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dave,

I normally use DVD+R discs, Verbatim, TDK and Sony seem to work ok..

davehurst
Visitor

I tried using DVD+R but they did not work, it said it was the wrong media.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I can only get hold of one of the other Vaio's next week to try to get the recovery discs done.

Is it next week already... :laughing:

Hi Dave,

you cannot use DVD or CD RW (rewritable media) but you should be able to use either CD R, DVD+R & DVD-R to create the recovery disc's..