Join now - be part of our community!

Re-installing oem software/drivers

profile.country.en_GB.title
micdonal
Visitor

Re-installing oem software/drivers

I have a dual boot non-raid system on my AR51SU. The first hard drive has my re-installed Vista Ultimate running on it without a problem.
I have installed Windows 7 beta 1 on my second hard drive and, to be honest I think its performance is superior to Vista in every way. I would like to instal Intel Matrix Storage Manager and other pre-installed programs and drivers on this drive. Is that possible? I have tried to use my set of recovery discs but disc 1 runs to the end and a dialogue box opens and says "to re-install programs and drivers remove the disc and click OK". I did that and the recovery failed immediately - no reason given.
Any ideas please?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I am pretty sure you cannot install any of the pre-installed applications with any operating system other than the original Sony OEM Operating System - Sony Vista Ultimate OEM in your case.

I understand different rules may apply to some non-European Vaios but here it is only possible with XP.

You can download the Vista Drivers and Utilities - these are reputed to be 100% compatible with Windows 7 - from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN...

:slight_frown:

micdonal
Visitor

Many thanks, Blencogo for the info and link.
I have downloaded the original drivers/utilites packages and have used them to update certain drivers. However few programs are included and unfortunately Intel Matrix is not one of them. If I could gain proper access to my recovery discs I could probably get things installed, but I am so far unable to do that.

BTW I am in Manchester, UK

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

With XP you could use kcap.exe to access the discs but nothing seems to work for Vista discs.

However, you can download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager direct from Intel.

I don't think it really matters if you have different versions but you may wish to check your Vista version and download the same version for W7.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager

:wink:

micdonal
Visitor

Thanks again Blencogo, but I already tried that and it would not instal. It said that the operating system is not supported.
It is the first program I have come across so far that will not install on W7. I know there are others though.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That's the first I have heard of that will not install. As you say there must be many others that check the OS by name before allowing installing.

What do you think of W7 so far?

:thinking:

micdonal
Visitor

Yes, I suspect the program checks the OS name.
I like W7. It seems quicker to respond in all ways. The jury is still out on the superbar (taskbar) but I think it will be ok. Overall appearances are very good. The new WindowsLive Mail (which has to be dl'd seperately) is a bit different but will probably get used to it.
The instal went well - and fairly quick too at about 30 minutes). It loads and shuts down faster.
For a beta it seems very stable.
Overall I would say that most Vista users are likely to upgrade if they get to try it first (assuming that the price is affordable).
Have you used it yet Blencogo?
BTW do you live in Blencogo?