Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture (VGN-AR31M)

jthanassis
Visitor

Problem with AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture (VGN-AR31M)

Dear all,
I have recently bought my new VAIO VGN-AR31M. This model comes with an internal tv tuner (AVerMedia Hybrid H/W MPEG Card,M115S (DVBT/NTSC/PAL/SECAM)).

I run Windows Vista Home Premium and I have a major problem the AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture. When I try to run an application that uses this driver a white screen appears instead of the expected tv program. To be more specific a white layer covers the tv screen.
The sound doesn't work either.

My card works great using the the Microsoft Media Center (this applications uses the driver (AVerMedia Hybrid H/W MPEG Card,M115S (DVBT/NTSC/PAL/SECAM) directly instead of DDShow).

So the problem occurs only when I use the AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture (DDShow).

I've tested the AVerMedia BDA Analog Capture using both DScaler and Media Portal. The result is:
A white screen with no sound.

I've tried to change the contrast/brightness using the dscaler and thare is a temporary fix but the problem with the sound still exist.

I would appreciate any help..

thanks
thanassis

11 REPLIES 11
melbour
Visitor

Hi,
i've same problem.
Have you found solution?

thnaks

Suburbanlegend
Visitor

At least you get a white screen. I have a AR41S which uses the same card. I want to use the S-Video-in but with the programs I use, the screen just remains blank.

What also worries me is the lack of audio-in too. There is an AV-in port but this is a Video port, not a line-in port. So in order to capture sound, you need to use the microphone port, but that just distorts the sound.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the club,
check that the device drivers are engaged properly. Go into the device manager and if you have updated the drivers then disable and re enable. You find this in the video and sound controllers by opening up the tree and right clicking on the Avermidia Hybrid TV Tuner card. If that doesn't work then try a Vaio Hardware diagnostic in program files

Suburbanlegend
Visitor

DScaler seems to be the only way to get it working. However when you eventually get it up and running, there is a band of Vertical Distortion about a 1/3rd of the way in from the left hand side of the screen. This can be resolved by changing pixel width to 384 or anything below, but this degrades the quality of the picture.

Using Vaio Content Importer and choosing Analogue Device constantly shows a blue screen, whereas using a program like AmCap, you can see the picture for about a second and then it quickly fades to White. If you choose a higher Preview Output like 720x576, again you see the band of vertical distortion unless you change the Color Space/Compression to YV12. But of course you can only see the picture for a second before it fades to White.

Running Vaio Hardware Diagnostic crashes (The program itself) on the 3rd Video test. I don't think there's an actual diagnostic test for the TV part.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Suburbanlegend.

Do you have Click2DVD preinstalled on your AR41S (may be called Click2BD). This usually works straight out of the box and allows analogue capture, editing and the creation of a DVD/BD title Theme.

I have always found this adequate for converting old VHS analogue tapes to DVD format.

:thinking:

Suburbanlegend
Visitor

I've just tried it and got an error message:

No preview comes up either.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That is a shame - really useful program for analogue video capture. Works fine on my AR31S although the program is different - it does not support BD - it's just Click2DVD.

You are using the latest version? I see there are two updates for the Click2DVD BD program here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-AR&m=2679

:thinking:

Suburbanlegend
Visitor

It's really frustrating in all fairness. I'm running the latest version: 3.0.21.06110

What driver version are you using? I'm going to assume it's the same one: 3.3.23.95

What port do you use to import the audio too? The AV-in?

Suburbanlegend
Visitor

Has anyone had any luck with this?

To me it seems like a driver issue, but it's seems impossible to tell Sony this.