Join now - be part of our community!

Online Petition for Recovery Discs

profile.country.en_IE.title
sonypass33
Visitor

Online Petition for Recovery Discs

Right, it seems every second problem is to do with recovery discs.
I think it’s time we made our voices heard and demand they be included in the box.

I myself have had problems where, in the past, I’ve had 6 or 7 coasters trying to create them. The following is the basis of the petition.

1.The onus on creating them should NOT lie with the consumer.
2.Any disc created/burned by an end user is of inferior quality to those produced by a manufacturer. Recovery discs are usually only needed after a long period of time and a user created disc is much more susceptible to damage than a pressed disc.
3.In bulk the cost would be in the pence/cents category and if it meant adding 1 pound/Euro (a situation where they would make a profit) EVERY customer would be willing to pay it.
4.With half (this is a figure of speech it’s more likely most) the people who buy a PC they don’t remember or have better things to do than go through the notoriously hit and miss process of creating the discs.
5.The one time you need them is after a serious problem and now you have the anxious hour or two of finding out if your “Home Made Discs”, have actually worked or were even created correctly in the first place. This is bad enough for a casual user but is totally unacceptable for someone who needs their pc for their business or income.
6.The customer is always right.

I would really appreciate if everyone who feels the same way would respond with a simple “Agreed” comment so we can determine, against the number of registered members of the site, what percentage of VAIO owners want or demand some sort of action.

It might also be useful if a mod or admin could estimate a percentage of logged calls regarding these discs. I’d also like to point out I don’t hold SONY entirely responsible for this as most manufacturer’s now operate this way.
I’m sure Blencogo, Thalamus, Jumpsuit and crew would be happy to get rid of these queries once and for all.

Thanks to all who respond in advance

11 REPLIES 11
AJSG
Visitor

Well, who knows...maybe somebody has created an iso of such disks...for the TZ series at least....and where could such ISOs be shared? I mean...do you know anywhere where this might in theory happen?

sonypass33
Visitor

That's the whole point, we shouldn't have to create them ourselves.
Is it too much to ask for the discs to be in the box with the laptop?
On an older HP desktop I gave up trying to create them as I was on my 7th coaster.
It just means if I ever need to restore I don't have the discs! :anguished:

AJSG
Visitor

That's the whole point, we shouldn't have to create them ourselves.
Is it too much to ask for the discs to be in the box with the laptop?
On an older HP desktop I gave up trying to create them as I was on my 7th coaster.
It just means if I ever need to restore I don't have the discs! :anguished:

Well, I had to order mine and pay an extra 40 odd Euro...then spend another 4-5 days uninstalling all the tat that they put on there...if I ever meet anyone from their marketing side....anyway...I have Zero respect for these people...I have spent more man hours in trying to fix these than they are worth...

So, if you want to create on of those file sharing thingies I'll happily dump the ISOs of the two TZ series disks...It isn't a lot but I know...but it may help...

xdesign
Visitor

I totally agree. Recovery discs must be included, just become is not easy to create them. And I don't mean the procedure, but all the problems that appear while creating the discs!

We don't buy the cheapest laptops! In fact we buy the most expensive! They should include the discs in the box.

profile.country.en_GB.title
hossam_salem76
Visitor

i agree with u , really they must include them in box

sonypass33
Visitor

Well, I had to order mine and pay an extra 40 odd Euro...

So, if you want to create on of those file sharing thingies I'll happily dump the ISOs of the two TZ series disks...It isn't a lot but I know...but it may help...

An extra 40, that's ridiculous for something that should be included, no doubt another money making excersise/abuse of the consumer.

Thank's for the offer but I did manage to create recoveries for my VAIO (with only 1 coaster) it's a HP desktop I don't have them for but it's very reliable and I cloned the drive just in case.

TheMorpheus2000
Visitor

@ threadstarter

agree!

i would of appreciated those discs in my laptop package ...

davehurst
Visitor

Agreed. I think it just makes life easier and more proffitable for Sony. Nice little earner every time someone has to buy them from Sony. Come on Sony, help your customers.

diedzz
Visitor

I totally agree! It's ridiculous that Sony doesn't include a set of recovery discs in the package.

Diedzz