Join now - be part of our community!

Internet - Limited connection

MrRob
Visitor

Internet - Limited connection

Hi
I've just bought a Vaio running VistaHome Premium which I'm beginning to think is a mistake? I currently run a desktop machine on XP Pro which connects to the internet using a Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem which works fine.

My first problem is that Vista does not recognise the modem after I've installed the driver I've tried all sorts but to no avail.

Secondly I tried to use ICS using the built in bluetooth on the laptop and a usb/bluetooth adaptor. Even though I established a network I could not share the internet or the printers?

In desperation I've tried the internal modem on the laptop and a simple dial up connection and although I can logon to my ISP and establish a connection Vista puts on the yellow triangle and says "limited connection" so i am unable to browse the internet.

I've used all my own knowledge and Microsoft don't appear to be able to suggest anything.

I'd really appreciate any help at all.....as long as i get conncted to the internet

Regards
Rob

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.

You may possibly have more than one problem here.

Firstly the Thomson SpeedTouch 330 USB ADSL modem is very old technology and a quick Google suggests that there is a driver problem with the Vista operating system.

Some people seem to have solved the problem with a driver disk supplied direct from Thomson, but others have exactly the same problem as you.

Quite honestly you would be better off investing a small amount of dosh in a decent ADSL Gateway/router which will give far better speed.

Secondly if you have "limited connection" on dial up the chances are that your firewall is blocking the connection. Try temporarily turning off your firewall and then connecting. If you can then browse you will need to investigate your firewall settings…

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat