Join now - be part of our community!

Hello there, i have a question to ask you guys

mindstyle
Visitor

Hello there, i have a question to ask you guys

I just got a sony vaio from america, brought by my friend, and when i ran it, the windows vista installed by itself on my laptop. So no problem till i saw that the product key for windows vista in my system information on computer is not the same as on my windows vista sticker on the bottom of my laptop. Anyone here knows why's that?

Any answer is much appreciated, thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Mindstyle,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

This is normal the Vista Product key that appears in the System Information window is a generic OEM key that Sony use, this negates the need to contact Microsoft to activate your pre-installed version of Vista..

mindstyle
Visitor

Hello!

Thanks for your reply, Thalamus.

I have two more questions for you.. So does that mean that i have to change the key or not? Because as far as i know, the key on the sticker and the one in system information have to be the same. I dont mind them being different though, i just want to make sure that this key now is ok and wont expire or something like that.

Also, is there any key for office (for trail or full)?

Thanks for your replies,

mind

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mindstyle,

no you do not need to change the Vista OEM product key..

Check the pack of leaflets etc that came with your Vaio there may be a Microsoft Product Identifier card with a trial key sticker attached...

Enter the 25-character Trial Key found on the Microsoft Product Identifier card into the Setup dialog box..

If you are unable to locate the MS Office trial card then you could find a solution on this MS Office web page HERE ..