Join now - be part of our community!

IE freezing when trying to open AOL mail through Web

MammyM
Visitor

IE freezing when trying to open AOL mail through Web

When I log into my aol.com mail through the Web, I get a welcome and an indication of the number of emails I have but my folders and mail are not downloaded and IE freezes. I have to end IE through Task Manager. This doesn't happen on 2 other computers I have used (one Windows XP with Norton; the other Windows XP with McAfee).

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mammy M and welcome.

You don't say what model you have and if you are using Vista or XP. The version of IE could also be useful.

I'll assume your Vaio is new and using Vista and IE7.

The best recommendation I can make is that you change your browser to Firefox and give IE7 a wide berth!

Since its release IE7 has been very quirky about what it will accept. You could try making www.aol.com a trusted site and also turn off any plug-ins running with IE7.

Honestly though - I was serious about Firefox being a far superior browser.

:wink:

MammyM
Visitor

Thank you Blencogo

I have a new VGN-FW31E with Vista and IE7.

I made both www.aol.co.uk and www.aol.com trusted sites (get my aol.com email through aol.co.uk) but it didn't help.

I started to download Firefox but got a McAfee message to the effect that some people regard this as a site with adware and spyware -- and I got scared and cancelled.

I don't really want to change my email address which I have been using for years -- and it has some important saved mail on it.

Can you advise some more?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Where were you trying to download firefox from?

Download it direct from Mozilla here: -

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/firefox/

From the official site there will be NO nasties!!

Give it a try - most people find it far superior and much safer than using IE7.

MammyM
Visitor

Dear Blencogo

Yes, I can open my emails now and everything seems to be moving fatster! Many, many thanks from a very grateful newbie.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That's good news Mammy M.

I hope you enjoy your new Vaio.