Join now - be part of our community!

I don't understand and need help from an Expert please!

VAIOWoman
Visitor

I don't understand and need help from an Expert please!

:rose: Hi, I have a problem understanding how I have showing 546GB free of 584GB, when my total should be 640GB ! I have only just recovered my sytem to original state after the graphics going huge on startup and could not fix, but it was like this before recovery!

Surely as it should be 640GB Total when purchased, it should show something like 580GB say of 640GB allowing a generous 20GB for hidden partition?

Since recovery I have uninstalled about 3 unwanted softs, with more in mind to uninstall, done the usual updates, installed Antivirus and Nokia software, set up email and have added nothing else! So to see 546GB remaining from what should beTotal of 640 is wrong to me! I know 1GB is not really counted as 1000 but something like 1024 but to be down almost 100GB before I have even started looks too much, can any Expert please explain what is happening? Much appreciation.
:beat_up: :beat_up:

Additional information: My Matshita BD was replaced in less than a month after failed!

VGN-AR71ZU - Specs

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate
Network 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T
Cache 6144 KB
Memory 4096 MB (Not Upgradable)

In the case of 4GB, a portion of the system memory over 3GB might not be available to the operating system
Memory Information SO-DIMM 667Mhz (DDR2)
Hard Disk Drive 640 Gb (S-ATA) 2 X 320 GB
(7.5 GB reserved - recovery space)
Graphic Card NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT GPU
Video Memory 512 MB
Display 17" TFT WUXGA 1920x1200
Sound Chip Sigmatel CXD9872 High Definition Audio Codec
Optical CD-ROM (read) : 24 x Speed
CD-R (write) : 8 x Speed
CD-RW (write) : 8 x Speed
DVD-ROM (read) : 8 x Speed
DVD +R (write) : 8 x Speed
DVD +RW (write) 4 x Speed
DVD -R (write) : 8 x Speed
DVD -RW (write) : 4 x Speed
DVD Dual Layer (write) : 2.4 x Speed
BD (read) : 2 x Speed
BD-R (write) : 2 x Speed
BD-RE (write) : 2 x Speed
Ports on Unit 1 ExpressCard/54 Slot(s), 1 PC Card Slot(s), 4 pins i.Link Port, MagicGate MemoryStick Duo Slot, Secure Digital Card Slot, Bluetooth, 3 USB Port(s) (high (USB 2.0) / full / low speed )
Ports on Unit Audio/Video In, Headphones Out, Infrared, Internal Microphone, Microphone In, Ethernet Port, Super Video Out, VGA Monitor Out, HDMI,
PC Card Slots 1 PCMCIA type I or 1 PCMCIA type II Cards and Cardbus support
Modem Built-in Modem V.92
Wireless LAN Data transfer 300 Mbps max - Range 10m to 100m

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi VAIOWoman,

I guess you understand the difference in hard drive size is partly due to the different way manufactures and Microsoft report the sizes..

Manufacturers use the SI scale for example 1KB = 1000 bytes

Microsoft, ie windows XP/Vista, use the binary, for example 1KB = 1024 bytes

Therefore manufactures 640 GB hard drive = 640,000,000,000 bytes.

Whereas MS 640 GB hard drive = 596 GB, also subtract the space allocated to the hidden recovery partition, which is probably 9.6 GB would give you 589GB..

The remaining missing HDD space could be due to the space used by Vista's System Restore..

You can check what space is being used and allocated to shadow storage by follow this guide..

Click Start, then click All programs followed by Accessories.

In Accessories Right Click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

In the Command Prompt window type: vssadmin list shadowstorage and then click Enter

Hopefully you should see..

Used Shadow Copy Storage space:

Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space:

Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space:

VAIOWoman
Visitor

Could not get in that way but had a good firk around and came up with:

Hard Drive 0
Usage: Array member
Native Command Queuing Support: Yes
Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled: Yes
Size: 298 GB
Number of Volumes: 1
Volume Member 1: Volume0
Parent Array: Array_0000

Hard Drive 1
Usage: Array member
Native Command Queuing Support: Yes
Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled: Yes
Size: 298 GB
Number of Volumes: 1
Volume Member 1: Volume0
Parent Array: Array_0000

It is annoying when you get the impression that you actually have 640GB@1000bytes per KB...it should be made clear when you make a purchase that you have GB@1000byteskb or @1024Byteskb or better still present both on specs as not everyone is an expert including Sony Support with whom I spoke to afew weeks ago who could not understand neither what I was talking about or...could not explain in spite of the fact I had taken snippets which I emailed to them!

Also when I purchased my previous VAIO's of 100GB and 120GB ther was no 1KB @1000bytes or the other to explain which makes me feel I have been conned on this occasion! Hmmmmm not good!
ps Sorry about the edits my cat keeps attacking meeeeeeoooooow! :devil:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Could not get in that way

Hmmm this should work... :thinking:

Click Start, then click All programs followed by Accessories.

In Accessories Right Click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

In the Command Prompt window type: vssadmin list shadowstorage and then click Enter

Also when I purchased my previous VAIO's of 100GB and 120GB ther was no 1KB @1000bytes or the other to explain which makes me feel I have been conned on this occasion! Hmmmmm not good!

The difference in HDD space has always been this way, only it more noticeable now as HDD capacities have got larger..

for example a 120 GB hard drive = 111.75 GB a difference of 8.25GB whereas the difference in for your Vaio's 640GB drive is 44GB..

littlebucko
Visitor

vaiowoman

the problem with the missing space could be down to the operating system that is installed also there is a recovery partition on the hard drive for rebooting the system

also it sounds like your harddrive has been split into 2 parts this can be put back by going onto the boot menu on startup

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

also it sounds like your harddrive has been split into 2 parts this can be put back by going onto the boot menu on startup

Hi littlebucko,

VAIOWomans AR71ZU has two X 320 GB HDD drives set in RAID 0 (640GB)

VAIOWoman
Visitor

Yes thanks Thalamus, did mange to find all through Matrix Storage Console and confirmed that I had not setup BackUp or Shadow copy as prefer disks! So now I am clear as to what I actually have and can now stop confusing myself! Thanks for your patience and time! :rose:

"we learn......I learn.....always.....the hard way, but at least I learn :smileyhypnotized: "

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for your patience and time!  :rose: 

You're most welcome VAIOWoman.. :slight_smile: