Join now - be part of our community!

Help, need drivers for XP - VGN AR61E

Xyphias
Visitor

Help, need drivers for XP - VGN AR61E

Hey guys, I'm really sorry to be posting a similar topic to so many here butI don't see my particular laptop mentionned and I'm not sure how different the components / drivers are to the others.

Well, I did a...minorly stupid... thing. Formatted the computer / installed Vista before I realised that the preinstalled drivers present on this website were Vista only. Have spent most of the last day trawling the net trying to piece together what drivers I need. Have a few, still missing most, anyone got some rather helpful links they'd be so kind to share that can save me some time please?

Oh yeah, got the VGN-AR61E model off the top of my head.

Thanks in Advance :slight_smile:

5 REPLIES 5
Xyphias
Visitor

Okay, all my drivers are pretty much sorted now except the sound, installed the HD audio XP hotfix and Windows recognises I've got an HD audio bus but not sure what drivers need to be installed now, kinda numbling round in the dark

Any help would be most appreciated :slight_smile:

iainlow
Visitor

Well, I did a...minorly stupid... thing. Formatted the computer / installed Vista before I realised that the preinstalled drivers present on this website were Vista only.

Sorry mate, I don't understand the problem.

First - is your laptop really the VGN-AR61E? I don't understand the "Oh yeah, got the VGN-AR61E model off the top of my head." bit

Second - If you formatted the hard disk and installed Vista, what's the problem with the supplied Vista pre-installed drivers?

I can't see where XP comes in. Why do you need XP drivers?

Xyphias
Visitor

Well, I did a...minorly stupid... thing. Formatted the computer / installed Vista before I realised that the preinstalled drivers present on this website were Vista only.

First - is your laptop really the VGN-AR61E? I don't understand the "Oh yeah, got the VGN-AR61E model off the top of my head." bit

Second - If you formatted the hard disk and installed Vista, what's the problem with the supplied Vista pre-installed drivers?

Lol, that's what you get when you write in a hurry. I installed XP on the laptop not Vista, but other than that I'm pretty sure the first post is accurate, although make allowances for the fact I'm checking at 1am :).

All the drivers sorted now btw except one; the SD card reader doesn't work. Fun times :slight_smile:

Thanks for swinging by the thread. Oh and it's phrased like that because I wasn't actually sat at my laptop when I was writing it, thought it might be useful information for mentioning which computer I wanted the drivers for and have the memory of a goldfish, so wasn't totally certain.

iainlow
Visitor

No worries mate. I have an AR21S, which was supplied with XP, but was described as Vista ready (or capable, or something). I had a new copy of Vista Ultimate from Microsoft, so I installed that in the middle of last year. At that time there were hardly any Vista drivers available so I had to download the XP preinstalled drivers / utilities packs, and use some of them. Since then, of course, they have written true Vista drivers for most things, so I'm ok now (almost - I still need a new Nvidia graphics driver, but there isn't one, which is capable of delivering the full potential of Blu_Ray via HDMI cable. Their latest driver only offers a refresh rate of 30Hz at 1080p, not fast enough to sync the picture with the sound - you need 60Hz (or possibly 50Hz In UK) to deliver full 1080p quality).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that it's worth writing down the full spec of your components, then checking the other Vaio models for similar spec components. It could well be that Sony have released a new driver for that component, but not included it for your model. This is what they've done in my case. There are drivers and firmware updates available for the AR31S which are not on the page for my AR21S, which is 99% the same computer. So I've used the AR31S updates.

So, there are "pre-installed driver and utility" packs for XP available for my laptop. It's worth checking other models for yours.

Can't guarantee anything, but it's always worth a try.

Good luck

shefu13
Visitor

Lol, that's what you get when you write in a hurry. I installed XP on the laptop not Vista, but other than that I'm pretty sure the first post is accurate, although make allowances for the fact I'm checking at 1am :).

All the drivers sorted now btw except one; the SD card reader doesn't work. Fun times :slight_smile:

Thanks for swinging by the thread. Oh and it's phrased like that because I wasn't actually sat at my laptop when I was writing it, thought it might be useful information for mentioning which computer I wanted the drivers for and have the memory of a goldfish, so wasn't totally certain.

Can you give me a list with links where I can download XP drivers for Sony Vaio AR61E. I have installed XP but I did'nt fine no driver for it.