Join now - be part of our community!

Headphone jack problem

AngieSam14
Visitor

Headphone jack problem

Hi all,
Many apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I can't find a search box on this forum? Am I missing something?

My headphone socket has for some reason abruptly stopped working. I used to plug "Creature" external speakers into it as well as headphones and all worked perfectly. But just recently neither speakers nor headphones work when plugged into the socket when running Windows Media player, iTunes, or InterVideo Win DVD for Vaio, or any other program requiring sound for that matter. I have recently (around the time this problem started maybe???) updated to iTunes v 8.0.2.20 is this something to do with it? The laptop speakers work fine and, when headphones/speaker cable are plugged into the jack, the laptop speakers mute as they are supposed to do.

Going into the control panel - hardware and sound - sound - headphones - properties - advanced - test, I can hear the sound through the headphones....!!!! So that indicates to me that the headphone socket is working and therefore not broken!!

Your help please would be much appreciated, this is a complete mystery to me. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance, and "Seasons Greetings" to all...
Angie

Sony Vaio laptop VGN-FE41S
Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1)

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Anjie,

Have you installed the latest SigmaTel Audio Driver which is designed to be compatible with SP1?

If not you can download it here: -

Audio Driver (SigmaTel) SP1_Filter_NB1.0A - 6.10.5379.1

Follow the instructions carefully. You need to uninstall the old driver first through add/remove programs. Note the last sentence - the new driver sometimes has its settings set to zero!

:wink:

AngieSam14
Visitor

Blencogo you're a genius...!!!! Sorted..!!! Thank you so much. I didn't have the Sigma Tel Audio Driver on the laptop to update, my Audio driver seemed to be called High Def Sound Driver?? something like that (maybe a generic driver??) which I'd uninstalled/tried to update over the past few days with no luck

Anyway I've installed the Sigma Tel and all working fine now. Sound both from the laptop speakers and through headphones..!

Thank you once again for your excellent help.

Merry Christmas
Angie
:smileygrin: