Join now - be part of our community!

defrag

fireguy4403
Visitor

defrag

hello peeps
would appreciate advice re defraging the hard drive. Is it safe to do so even though the recovery files are also on this drive, I have been told that you can potentially harm the files. I have a Sony Vaio noteboook VGN-11e
any help appreciated.
Bob W

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_IE.title
sonypass33
Visitor

It’s perfectly safe, not only that, it’s recommended. Widows just slings things over its shoulder when you hit save and a defrag picks up the mess windows has made and puts it into some sort of order. This means files that should be together are now together and the hard drive isn’t zipping all over the place to find fragments of the hand grenade windows has made of your hard drive. Afterwards the computer should be faster than before as it doesn’t need a roadmap to find stuff.
Warning: Depending on how big your drive is it can take a long time, several hours so plan ahead before you do it so you don’t need your computer in the meantime.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Bob W,

I have been told that you can potentially harm the files

This will only normally happen if you use a third party defrag program using the option of an off-line defrag (i.e. defrags at boot prior to the operating system loading). This option will almost certainly destroy your system restore points (in Vista) and can corrupt the boot files.

Once the operating system has loaded all active system files are locked and cannot therefore be moved, defragmented or altered by third party applications.

You can and should use the inbuilt Vista/XP utility or other software (from within Windows) to keep your hard drive/system up to speed.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
fireguy4403
Visitor

just to say thanks for the advice.
Bob W