Join now - be part of our community!

Broken DVD unit

Pat_D
Visitor

Broken DVD unit

Dear all,

I have a FE 31M laptop with winxp sp3 media center edition. I believe that my dvd writer is broken. Because whenever I try to burn a dvd, after a couple of minutes an unexpected error occurs. I tried burning at different speeds and with different disks and different files. According to the nero log, this error is caused by the matshita dvd writer.
I've had such a problem before, back then I sent the laptop to sony, and they have fixed the problem. Now I do not have any warranty left any more, and I think sony would charge me way too much for replacing the dvd writer. So I'd like to change it myself. Is this possible, and is there any information on how to do this?

By the way, I think the lifetime of this dvd unit in my fe31m is very, very short. I would have expected a lifetime of at least four years from a laptop that has cost me something like 1500 euros. Now, the dvd unit is broken 2 times in not even 2 years! Maybe it's time for sony to start using good quality units in their laptops, or to drop the price.

Thanks in advance for the help!

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Now I do not have any warranty left any more, and I think sony would charge me way too much for replacing the dvd writer. So I'd like to change it myself. Is this possible, and is there any information on how to do this?

Hi Pat_D,

in Device Manager what make and model CD/DVD drive does it list as installed in your Vaio?

It could be something like Pioneer DVR-K16

Have you checked if there is a firmware update available for your drive?

Use the following link then select your model in the drop down list to check for the firmware update: Sony Support Downloads

Pat_D
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Under device manager I have two (?) devices listed under dvd/cd rom stations;

- HWJ D6F0L234D2F SCSI CdRom Device
- Matshita DVD-RAM UJ850S

A little note here:
The first device was not listed under device manager until I got the laptop back. I found that a little bit strange but I didn't bother investigating because everything worked. I expected a new dvd unit then, but I guess they have just fixed the old one.

The pioneer driver update shouldn't be of any help here I think, and the other update does have 850 in it's filename but that one is from late 2006. I bought the laptop in 2007, so I do not think it will do any good?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Pat_D,

before going down the replacement route have you tried using a different make of DVD, something like Verbatim as Matshita drives can be a bit temperamental at times..

Have you tried removing both the HWJ D6F0L234D2F SCSI CdRom Device and Matshita DVD-RAM UJ850S from device manager and restating you vaio and allowing your CD/DVD drive to install again.?

Have you installed any other CD/DVD burning utilities lately.?

Pat_D
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

I haven't removed the devices from device managers list. I will do that now. The dvd's I tried to burn were from Verbatim. It's strange, because I've already burnt like 8 dvd's from the same manufacturer and it all worked fine.

Tomorrow I will try to burn a dvd from another manufacturer, I need to go and buy the dvd's first ;).

I will keep you posted :slight_smile:

Pat_D
Visitor

Hi,

I've tried burning on dvd's from other manufacturers. Now more errors arise. I tried the other things mentioned in this thread. Unfortunately no succes. I think it would be best to purchase and install a new dvd unit...

Anyone who knows how to do that?

Thanks,

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Pat_D,

Just two screws ..................

:wink:

Pat_D
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for the help all!

Pat_D
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for the help all!

I presume that it isn't possible to take the silverish front of the dvd unit and place it on a new unit? By the way the only unit I could find was from LG, with a EIDE/ATA connection. I hope this one will fit.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sometimes the faceplate just slides off and can be repaced on a new drive. This is usually easier if you pick one with the same make. Sometimes it is held on with small screws.

Sometimes it requires a bit of DIY - if held by rivets. I'm afraid they are all different - but there is usually a solution.

Good Luck.

:wink: