Join now - be part of our community!

AC Adapter giving off high pitched sound

timdickinson
Visitor

AC Adapter giving off high pitched sound

Hi everyone,

I have had my Son Vaio NR38S/S laptop for about 4 months now, and over the past few weeks I have noticed that the transformer box of the AC adapter (VGP-AC19V14) on occasion gives off a very high pitched continuous whining sound.

Has anyone else noticed something similar?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi timdickinson and welcome.

That does not sound right.

Contact Sony on Monday and describe the problem. You cannot be too careful - there may be an electrical fault.

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/contacts/contacts.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons

:slight_frown:

Brady-UK
Visitor

Hello,

I do not have your sony laptop model however I have noticed a high pitched noise in some of my adapters that I use.

Ones with my Sony Ericsson phone adapter and this makes a high pitched noise (beyond the hearing range of adults over 25?) when the phone is charged and I have also noticed it on my playstation 3 when i turn the power off (after its on standby) at the wall.

This has something to do with the adapter part (240v > regulated voltage), and I think its the capacitors discharging inside the adapter.

I just had a listen to my sony adapter for my SZ61mn and I noticed a high pitched noise and a clicking sound (only when my ears right next to it, and also a noise in the adapter for my external hard drive.

I think this is fairly normal as far as adapters are concerned and it shouldnt be a problem, contacting sony wouldnt hurt though.

Cheers Andy