Join now - be part of our community!

KD43XE8396

profile.country.GB.title
montyray
Explorer

KD43XE8396

This Android TV is painfully slow with EVERYTHING it does despite update to Nougat 7 latest Version !!!  Anyone found a way to speed key presses up and the time it takes to carry out your commands? I use satellite mainly because I cannot receive my regional BBC and ITV stations easily. But I am logged onto the GRANADA channel whatever I do, and when I do eventually find the correct transponder that carries my local regional channels, the next time I switch the TV on, regional channels have been screwed up with some previous channels gone missing. This is extremely infuriating. Further, there is NO apparent way to get to "FAVOURITE" once set up without a very convoluted number of key presses involving the ACTION button and the GUIDE buttons. Why is there NOT a "Favourite" button on the remote control? I have a steerable satellite dish but can find no way to select between  No 1 satellite (Astra2), or Hotbird, setup on satellite 2. Do I have a crap Sony TV?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi montyray, sorry to hear about this.

I will raise it with our tech team and get back to you with any reply. 

Meanwhile it may be other users have experienced something similar and can offer a solution. 

Best wishes

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
montyray
Explorer

Thank you for your concern Mick_D.

Another problem with the KD43XE8396 is that regional ptograms on satellite appear to change without notice. For example in the East Midlands the main transmitter is Sutton Coldfield. BBC East Midlands is rock solid, but I'm forced to recieve GRANADA instead of Central, not ITV Central East which is the station I want. Shuffling the program list has no effect because if I do find ITV Central East on Frequency 10994H, TP59, which can appear on Channel number 0139, the next time I select channel 0139 ITV Central has moved to a different channel number for eg, 218, or 216, or 0163 or 0164. This is totally unacceptable and most annoying having to zip through the guide to find it again. My other TVs have no such problems and once tuned in channel numbers are fixed and remain constant for any channel selected repeatedly. This appears to be the norm ONLY on the ITV channel positions. Why doesn't Sony display the ID of the selected channel requency and transponder number in the info banner like other manufacturers do?  The whole operation take such a bloody long time and despite having 100% signal quality and 100% signal strength from my 1.2meter Precision H 2 H mounted dish and Universal LNB, every channel is reluctant to lock in without pixellating for a few milliseconds. Don't have this problem with other TV in the house connected to the same LNB even when connected to any one of the 4 LNB outputs. Is it time to dump this disaster of a TV?

profile.country.GB.title
montyray
Explorer

A further point Mick_D, is that I bought this KD43EX8396 on the understanding that it had a ISP panel, but I suspect that it doesn't have an IPS panel.  My old Panasonic Viera TXL42D25B also has an IPS panel that is viewable from almost 180 degrees all round and is evenly lit, something this KD 42XE8396 is unable to do. The picture fades visibly to left of centre when viewed off centre axis, and has faint but visible shading on the left hand side and bottom corners when viewed slightly off centre axis. On a clear grey full screen the left hand half ot the screen is darker than the rest of the screen, although this becomes less noticible when viewing a broadcast program. The longer I use this abortion of a TV the more I'm inclined to smash it against the wall. 

profile.country.GB.title
Tufftybob
Explorer

Hi Montyray,

I have this tv too, and if I had known how crap the android software is I would never have bothered.

Thankfully this tv has the best picture I have ever been able to afford.

I also can't get decent coverage for 'freeview' channels, so don't even bother 'tuning it in via the built in 'freeview' or 'freesat' tuners.

I use mainly an Amazon 4k Fire TV 'box' (Prime customer) & occasionally an old Sky+ HD Box connrcted to a standard sky dish with ONE LNB.

I have never had a problem with 'satellite channels moving around', (unless the broadcaster is moving them), no matter where I have used any 'old sky box' (four different addresses in 10 yrs), but 'freeview' has ALWAYS been crap no matter where I have lived (between North Somerset & North Oxfordshire / South Northamptonshire) no matter what TV, no matter what aeriel, no matter how close the 'local transmitter' is to where I was living (whether flat terrain or hills) between transmitter and 'receiving tv's'.

The 'local - Bath - transmitter' is currently less than two miles from my Mums house, almost in line of sight, and still the freeview signal she gets is Sh1te! - with BBC and the 'independant' itv/channel 4/5 type channels alternately being unavailble for days on end for no apparent reason - weather having nothing to do with it I think.

She has the exact same TV in her living room as I had (mine is now in bedroom) and she also uses an old sky box & fire tv device too.

Good luck

Bob

profile.country.GB.title
Owen_G

Hi Montyray,

Please try performing a factory reset, as this should help to improve the performance and tuning issues: http://bit.ly/2snNRHc.
Favourites can be accessed via the 'Discover' button. Unfortuantely, however, selection between satellites is not possible – if multiple satellites are used then all channels are stored in one list.

We hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further queries or concerns.

Owen

profile.country.GB.title
montyray
Explorer

Thanks for your reply Owen.

I'm appalled by the fact that you can't select satellites from a list because there is provision in the setup menu for tuning in 4 satellites. Another positive reason to sue Sony for misleading information. First there is NO In Plane Switching LCD panel fitted, despite the specs saying there is, and now despite allowing for tuning 4 satellites, there is no per satellite channel list or any easy way to select them?  this TV is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. Just a load of cr*p. Will never buy another Sony Android TV ever again. Wish I hadn't bought this piece of rubbish. How can you easily select a satellite channel you wish to view from over 3000 viewable channels available on Astra2E and Hotbird 13 E from ONE list?

[removed by moderator] load of cr*p.

profile.country.GB.title
montyray
Explorer

Have to agree with this sentiment and post. Very misleading.