Join now - be part of our community!

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

Got a brand new XZ3 a few months ago, updated to Android 10 and since then I noticed  since security update on Android 10 Build No. 52.1.A.3.74, I was unable to switch Hey Google voice match back on - it seemed to turn itself off?

Factory reset, cache/data clear, uninstall updates on Google app and software repaired the phone but it just says 'Something went wrong. Try again.' when I try to turn on Hey Google.
thread-68560551-10175818439589214593.jpeg

Since then, Sony support have just sent me running in circles with resent troubleshoot email templates telling me to factory reset again.

Loads of other XZ3 and XZ2 users mentioned the issue here, is anyone else having it and have you had any luck talking to Sony or Google about it?

Google support thread where people are discussing:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Reddit post by me

93 REPLIES 93
profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

@Markalang This is great news, can you confirm you reported this with an XZ3 phone too? Please do keep us posted here!

profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

Hi:  I didn't specifically point to a certain xperia, except that they know I have an XZ2.  But I did say "all owners of xperia phones", and included your links to these posts, so I think they should get the picture.  We'll see.  Here is the message that I sent them:

Hello:

Please review this issue that I sent to product support on my xperia phone, and that has not been acknowledged or answered. 

"Hello:  It's hard to believe that in this age of IT, I cannot use "Hey Google" on my Sony phone.  This feature, after several years of working fine, was disabled apparently by a Google update last August.  I am not alone – see links below.  Likely all owners of xperia phones with Android 10 are experiencing this problem.  We are in the dark.  As a reputable, world-wide firm, you owe it to your loyal customers to 1) acknowledge the problem, 2) keep us informed on a regular basis as to your progress in solving the problem, and 3) seek out all those affected (who may not know of the current efforts to seek a solution) to inform them of your status in resolving the problem. Please address this issue at your earliest chance.  We are in the dark. (refer to the links below)”

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/xz-series/xz3-android-10-unable-to-turn-on-hey-ok-google-quot-someth...

https://piunikaweb.com/2020/12/24/sony-xperia-xz3-xz2-ok-google-is-not-working-after-the-android-10-...

https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/71827353?hl=en&msgid=86102070

Xperia XZ2 Compact, H8314

profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

Update: A got a call, and a follow up email from Sony today.  I called back and they wanted to confirm a few questions from their engineering team, and then told me that they would continue to work on the problem and get back to me hopefully in 2 to 3 days.  I continue to be cautiously optimistic.  So far, I am pleased with their attention to the matter.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

This is great news, I had reached out to a few news sites so I'd imagine this getting some press is pinching them in the backside!

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

@Markalang Did their engineering team confirm they could reproduce the issue too?

I'm also curious what their questions were, this case is really dragging out it feels 😞 hoping for it to be fixed soon.

profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

Hello: The last contact I had with Sony was on Jan 29th.  I just emailed them to learn of any progress, and will let you know.

profile.country.SE.title
mysroger
Explorer

i can give you ha few pointers. i found my sony to have a little softer and more reliable usage at android 10 just by changing the launcher.. and as a answer to ylur problem that launcher makes the Google voice /assistent work together att easyer way..

profile.country.SE.title
mysroger
Explorer
profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

Interesting to hear about the launcher being connected, I will try soon and if it fixes I will relay that onto Sony Support as they should be able to fix that easier than firmware side as it's just the launcher.

Thanks also for the update @Markalang too. i had another email from Sony yesterday that there is still no update on the escalated case unfortunately.

Will report back when I've had a faff with the launcher.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

@mysroger tried Microsoft Launcher just now, Ok/Hey Google Voice activation still didn't work.