Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless switch no longer works/lights up

peedey
Visitor

Wireless switch no longer works/lights up

Hey Guys, i am being driven up the wall here! My Sister has had a VGN NS10L for just over a month and it has been fine up until now.
Today she tried to connect to the internet as usual but realised the light next to the wireless switch was not on despite the switch being in the on position, as a result her wireless connection does not work.
When i click on the WLAN tab under VAIO smart network it says "please turn on the hardware switch and try again".

The wireless network adapter shows up in the device manager and has no problems. I have updated the driver but this has had no effect.

I have been searching the net for an hour now but have not found a working solution, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys
Pete

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Pete.

Welcome to Club Vaio.

There have been a few WiFi problems recently - I wonder if a Microsoft Update has contributed to this?

All I can suggest is that you reinstall VAIO Smart Network and also the Wireles LAN Driver and see if that helps. You can download the original programs from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN...

If that does not work, try downloading the latest WiFi driver from the manufacturer's site (I'm not sure if you have an Atheros or an Intel Wireless Card).

The next step would be to contact Sony Support - there have been enough of these problems recently for them to have some idea of a solution.

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/contacts/contacts.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons

The last but one resort before a hardware repair is to reinstall the system back to factory settings to make sure no software installed since purchase is interfering with the WiFi.

The last resort is to send the Vaio for repair under warranty to Sony.

:thinking:

peedey
Visitor

Thanks for the reply and the helpful info. I tried everything you said and have reinstalled windows but to no avail.
Seems strange for the wireless to just die like it seems to have, looks like i will be sending it for repairs.

Thanks for the help
Pete

IMI878
Visitor

:slight_smile: Hi, the same thing happened to my cousin and he also got very annoyed. He tried restarting the computer etc but nothing worked. In the end either because he left it for a day or so or he fully recharged the laptop it started working again. Try recharging or leaving for a day or two.

:slight_smile: