Join now - be part of our community!

Windows Vista - Product Key?

ARIEL4096
Visitor

Windows Vista - Product Key?

Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum and am a bit clueless with technology [:">] !! I have been trying to create a spreadsheet in Excel, but every time I try and access programme it requests a product key. I haven't purchased Windows Vista, it was on computer when I purchased, do I need to purchase it to get Product Key? Thanks for your help. I purchased a Vaio VGN-NR31J

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi ARIEL4096 and welcome to Club Vaio.

I think it is wanting the Product Key for Microsoft Office. You have a 60 day trial version installed and the product key will be in the documentation that came with your Vaio.

Look for a Microsoft software license sheet which will contain the product key.

After 60 days you will need to purchase Office 97 if you still want it.

:wink:

ARIEL4096
Visitor

Thanks for reply, I got this computer as we had an accident with our old one and claimed on our insurance. My old computer already had windows and I didn't have to pay for so I am a bit disappointed I need to purchase a package. When this stops working does it have a basic version on the computer??

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

My old computer already had windows and I didn't have to pay for so I am a bit disappointed I need to purchase a package.

Hi Ariel4096,

welcome to club VAIO..

You appear to getting mixed up with Windows Vista and Microsoft Office.. :thinking:

Vista is the operating system..

Excel is the spreadsheet program which is part of the Microsoft Office office suite..

Your vaio came with MS office trial pre-installed and as Blencogo mentioned above normally in the pack of leaflets etc that came with your Vaio there should be a Microsoft Product Identifier card with a trial key sticker attached...

It might be on a MS works leaflet..??

Enter the 25-character Trial Key found on the Microsoft Product Identifier card into the Setup dialog box..

If you are unable to locate the MS Office trial card then you could find a solution on this MS Office web page HERE ..

Once the trial has finished you may wish to convert your trial to the full version, there are different ways to convert your trial version to a full-product version of Office 2007, use the following link to view: MS FAQ Convert your trial to a full-product

Check the price before purchasing direct from Microsoft as it may be a cheaper from other retail outlets..

Or alternatively you may want to consider Open Office which is a free office type suite, use the following link for more information on: Open Office