Join now - be part of our community!

Which hard disk should I use in Vaio VGN FE 31h

profile.country.en_PK.title
xs2ahmed
Visitor

Which hard disk should I use in Vaio VGN FE 31h

I have sony vaio VGN FE 31h, recently its hard disk stopped working and I seem to have lost all of my data on it,. as its no more accessible,
the OS load the windows logo screen and then after that a black screen comes and says cant find the hal.dll,
I tried to receover/repair the OS from windows XP CD, the recovery process tries to copy files on the hard disk and after some times, it says can not copy certain files, I skip them and then it gives the same message for another file,
I also tried to install a new copy of XP and when it goes to find the existing installations, it takes alot of time and after so long it comes back and fails to recognize on of my partition on the disk, this partition was orignally an NTFS partition and thats where my OS was installed. It tells me that the partition is unknown,

anyways, I need to get my laptop running as soon as possible can resolve this hard disk problem later on,
any advise on which hard disk should I buy (I can open replace the hard drive myself), any specification which I could present and get an appropriate hard disk which fits into this laptop ?
I am seeing some SATA 2.5 inch hard drives, is this information enough to get the hard disk for my sony vaio version ? or should I consider some other technical specifications ?
there are some SATA II drives are they also okay for my vaio?
I am sending a link for hard drive, is it ok for vgn fe 31h ?
~http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Serial-5400rpm/dp/B000VNCEPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=el...

thanks,

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi,

Yes that drive will be OK in your Vaio.

Any 2.5 inch SATA drive will do as long as it is no thicker than 9.5mm. Any type of SATA (I or II) will be fine as SATA is backwards compatible.

On some older Vaios with IDE drives there is a restriction of 130GB but that does not apply to Vaios with SATA drives.

:wink: