Join now - be part of our community!

SORTED : Driver updates for Windows 7

profile.country.en_GB.title
seefour05
Visitor

SORTED : Driver updates for Windows 7

Does anyone know if Sony will be bringing out updated drivers and software for Windows 7? I'm asking because I installed Win7 on a partition on my S4XP but I'm having a hell of a time getting the fn keys to work. For a time I was getting the mute and volume pop up on the screen but it had no effect on the actual volume.

If anybody has any idea as to where I may be going wrong I'd be grateful for the advice

Many thanks

Nick

4 REPLIES 4
micdonal
Visitor

As far as I'm aware Windows 7 uses the same drivers as Vista. There are a couple of posts in the stickies which give details of how to get the Fn keys and volume/eject/S1 and S2 keys to work.There are also some things people have tried on Google.
I have been running W7 for a couple of weeks and, to be honest, I haven't bothered with the special function buttons as the OS will stop working anyway. I also suspect that the stuff you install to get them working slows down the startup on my pc and will not be using them when I upgrade to W7 in the future.

seefour05
Visitor

Hi and thanks for your reply. I've tried several times to download the shared library, sony utils notebook control and event service and so far all I get is the brightness working with the fn keys. I found the volume and mute keys very handy in XP so it's annoying me that they don't seem to want to work with W7. I'll have a look at the other posts and maybe find help there.

seefour05
Visitor

Yippee, managed to solve the problem. Read on another post that you have to turn off UAC user account control to enable the fn keys. Strange cos it means you then can't use the gadgets. Hopefully someone will come up with a fix for it.

micdonal
Visitor

I think you may need to instal the Vaio Event Service as well to get the other buttons working.