Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-AW11Z/B - Only Problems and disappointment, Sony never again!

Master007
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-AW11Z/B - Only Problems and disappointment, Sony never again!

On 24 Nov 08 I bought Sony Vaio VGN-AW11Z/B which worked properly for 14 days. After that a built-in fingerprint reader stopped working and a High-Speed USB port. In a lower right corner of the screen there were error messages that “USB Device not recognized”, “USB Device Malfunctioned” and that I have to re-install the fingerprint reader. I was searching for solution on internet and I found out that there was probably a problem with static electricity, so I unplugged the laptop, removed the battery and after five minutes I turned it on. It worked, actually the laptop installed hardware again, but the problem was resolved temporarily. After one day the fault occurred again. I reinstalled C Drive, but the fault was still there. On 13 Dec 08 I took the laptop to the store where I bought it and received it back from the Sony service on 24 Dec 08 with notice that everything is OK. The laptop was protected by Windows password, which was not removed by a serviceman, so I could not use the laptop for three days (I have not gotten the service via phone), when I decide to reinstall complete C Drive with Sony Rescue Disks again. On 31 Dec 08 the fault occurred again and at that time I also made print screens of the fault, which I copied in a Word document (for service). In addition, the laptop was frozen several times. In the store they checked the laptop and both faults were seen by them and they called Sony service and asked them for its replacement as I demanded. In Sony service they were full of excuses such as: This is because of the software (my friend bought exactly the same model at the same time and there are no problems), they will inspect the laptop and will see what is the problem (they have not found anything at first place), etc. About the fault I reported also to Sony Vaio e-support.

Until today the laptop is still in Sony Service. On 8 Jan 09 they sent me e-mail that they run a test for 24 hours and no problem, but after Comet sales manager intervention they kept it for additional tests. Because the fault occurs occasionally, simple test will not find the problem. In addition, as an average user I know where to find the reports about the past faults. So, may be they should check Control Panel-->Computer Management-->System Tools-->Event Viewer-->System (for Windows XP. I am sure that the serviceman will find that also in Vista). In this case there is no need for waiting that the fault occurs again.

I am really disappointed with Sony Service and the laptop and I do not want the same laptop back. I used it only for a little more than 14 days; the rest of the time was in the service or the store.

The story is still not over and I am waiting what they will do now. I am still sorry that I did not buy Toshiba as I planned at the beginning.

Bottom-line: I used the laptop only for 14 days; the rest of the time it was in the service or the store! Really bad investment and experience!!! :angry:

Very disappointed Sony customer,

Alex C

7 REPLIES 7
Master007
Visitor

The latest information from Sony Service:

After two months of sending the laptop back and forth they "found" the problem - software problem. I do not believe it, as I wrote before my friend has the same model, because we bought them together and he does not have any problems. Because that is "software problem" there is no need on their side to replace the laptop. Nice Sony policy!!! Find the excuse for not replacing the product. How convenient!!! Anyway, the store offer me money back (gift card) and I will take it. Which store does that ?! Comet!!! :slight_smile:

I will purchase Toshiba now, I hope with more luck than with Sony.

Regards,

Alex

acirasa
Visitor

I'm in the same situation. I hope that this is a lesson for all!

DON'T BUY SONY VAIO!

The prices not correspond to quality of their assistance service.

Master007
Visitor

For all who would like to share your opinion with Sony Japan, I have sent my letter to info-support@sony.co.jp.

Regards,

Alex

Master007
Visitor

Sony Shares Fall Sharply I am not surprised!

Master007
Visitor

Because the fault came back again and I am fed up with the incompetent Sony Service I took my laptop back to the store, got money back and ordered Toshiba Qosmio G50-129.

Bottom-line: I bought a Sony product last time and very likely never again, at least not in the UK.

This is probably my last mail on this forum. Bye.

Alex

FINLANDER
Visitor

Hello. i have the same problem with fingerprint and also with usb ports. And I have a question: where a can find the service center in my city? (I from Russia,Kazan). Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hello. i have the same problem with fingerprint and also with usb ports. And I have a question: where a can find the service center in my city? (I from Russia,Kazan). Thanks!

Hi Finlander,

you can contact Sony Vaio support either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support