Join now - be part of our community!

Shrinking Volume on Vista Laptop

SusieH
Visitor

Shrinking Volume on Vista Laptop

My sister's laptop stopped working and would only go into the Vaio Recovery Center. We tried to repair the laptop using the check disk and fix errors option but this didn't work. We got a message that said there was no Operating System.

The laptop went in for diagnostic tests at John Lewis and they say they've now got it working and there are no problems. They claim that a 'user' shrunk the memory partition which was then to small too work the laptop.

I've looked up the process for shrinking the volume and it seems to involve quite a few steps that I'm sure Vista would ask you to confirm you really want to do. My sister would not have done these steps accidentally or deliberately as she always asks for help when she gets an unusual pop up message.

John Lewis say that this shrinking process had to be done deliberately and would never be caused by anything other than deliberate user change. Is this true or can an operating system or volume shrinking be caused by a hard drive problem or other problem?

When the hard drive was replaced 4 weeks ago the operating system was missing then as well...

0 REPLIES 0