Join now - be part of our community!

Screen issue on vgn laptop

tobyd
Visitor

Screen issue on vgn laptop

Hi,
Today my VGN-FE31m has developed a screen issue that looks something like this
The white areas of the screen are fine its around the coloured areas like desktop and window surrounds. Is this something I can fix or is this an expensive issue.
Thanks very much for your time.
Toby

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi tobyd,

try connecting your Vaio to an external monitor, do you still have the same problem.?

tobyd
Visitor

Unfortunately I don't have another monitor to try.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Unfortunately I don't have another monitor to try.

Do you get the same purple lines when in safe mode.?

To enter safe mode restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F8 key repeatedly..

tobyd
Visitor

Yes in safe mode the purple lines are still there?

tobyd
Visitor

Yes in safe mode the purple lines are still there?

bump

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

bump
Please be patient...:smileyshame_on_you:

Unfortunately your problem is more than likely hardware related possibly screen, connections or GPU.. :slight_frown:

Connecting your Vaio to an external monitor would have helped narrow down the cause slightly, however I suggest you either contact Sony Vaio support, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

Or

See if a local repairer in your area can give you an quote for repair, then depending on the cost decide whether you can live with purple lines on your screen..

tobyd
Visitor

Thanks for your advice. I have contacted esupport so I hope to get some news.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome, good luck.. :four_leaf_clover:

tobyd
Visitor

Well the world has turned black!
The screen has now given up the ghost but all is fine when wired to an external monitor.
There does seem to be a faint glow to the screen so would this indicate a new screen needed or another part?
I hope to do this repair myself so if anyone has an idea what I should be looking to replace (full screen, inverter, lamp etc) it would be appreciated as dont want to replace working parts.
Thanks for your help.
Toby
PS - no reply from Sony whatsoever apart from a customer service questionnaire!