Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-K115M

munr0e
Visitor

PCG-K115M

Hey all, my first post here (thankfully), I have a Vaio PCG-K115M which I've had for about 4 years now and have had no problems with it at all. Recently however (past 6 months or so), my Vaio has been getting extremely hot and the fan seems to be running at full blast constantly within minutes of powering up my Vaio. To add to this the overall performance of the Vaio seems to be suffering aswell. I could usually have Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Firefox open simultaneously with many documents and switch between them with little to no slowdown, but things are taking alot longer now, and my system often crashes if I have a good few documents open. I realise I don't have the greatest amount of RAM, but this was never a problem before.

Any help with resolving this issue is greatly appreciated.

My Vaio's spec's are listed as follows (According to System Properties):

Sony Vaio PCG-K115M
XP Home Edition SP1
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
512MB of RAM

On a side note.. while viewing the above info' I saw that under 'Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz' it says "1.03GHz". I've never noticed this before, can anyone explain? See attached image.

Thanks again, Scott.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Scott,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

What is the normal running temperature of your Vaio..?

If your unsure, mobilemeter or PCWizard are handy applications to check your Vaio’s temperature. To download PCWizard use the following link: PC Wizard :slight_smile:

If your Vaio is getting hot you may need to first try clearing the cooling vents of dust with compressed air (you should be able to get this from your local PC shop), holding the can upright give the vents a short blast from a distance of approx. 10cm if you hold the can to close you could damage the fan..

If you do not notice any improvement then your vaio may need to be disassembled in order to deep clean the fan and cooling vents. :slight_frown:

munr0e
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus,

Here's the info according to MobileMeter (I'll include it all incase it helps):

Frequency: 2.80GHz
Temperature: 73.0'C / 74.0'C
Charge Rate: 0.09w
HDD #0: 42.0'C / 43.0'C

Would I be able to see if there were any dust or suchlike blocking/affecting the fan/cooling vents or could it be out of view?

Thanks, Scott.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Would I be able to see if there were any dust or suchlike blocking/affecting the fan/cooling vents or could it be out of view?

It could be either, have you tried using a blast of compressed air on the cooling vents.?

munr0e
Visitor

Thanks again Thalamus, I've had a go at it with a can of compressed air.

It seemed to have improved slightly after powering on - the fan took a little while longer to kick in and it's now running at 67.0'C (Although I don't have Illustrator etc. open..)

I'm guessing dust etc. must be the problem, any idea how I can open it up in order to give it a good clean? Not quite sure which screws to remove and if anything else will need to be removed.

Much appreciated.