Join now - be part of our community!

New to Sony Vaio VGX Series

formation4
Visitor

New to Sony Vaio VGX Series

Hi I am new to the Sony Vaio VGX series. I used to have a custom built htpc machine running vista ultimate 64 bit in a Silverstone Crown case. That was a beast of a case but had to be situated away from my Sony LCD. I browsed on the ol internet and saw the Vaio VGX. I loved the design and simplicity of the machine that I got 2 models. The XL301 and the XL201. (sold the custom built htpc to pay for them)
I didn't realise how dfficult it could be change the os on the machines. In the XL301 I took out the original HD and put in Samsumng HDs, 1X1TB and 2x750GB. All have been recognized and I installed windows 7 beta on it. Everything works ok apart from booting up it says microcode error. I have upgraded the cpu to Q6600 and put in extra memory, could that be the problem?

My main concern is the XL201 this has Xp Professional with Media Center. Having used the Vista and Windows 7 versions of MCE I have found that the Xp version is a lot faster and more stable, guess thats because it has been around for some time.
What I would like to do is be able to dual boot both XP and Vista 64bit. This is the machine that I will be using as a PVR, I have put Vista 64 bit on another partition but it no sound etc. has anybody done this? I don't want to upgrade but do a clean install on a different partition but have vista running on it

Anybody who has done that, please let me know how you got it to work.
I have read the guide on making a custom OS, sounds tricky awaiting the Vista pdf :smileygrin:

One last thing the motherboards for these machines do they only accept AGP cards, what is the best card to use? I know ATI cards have built in 5.1 and Nvidia have the spdif pass through. I would like to put a better card but cannot find any compatible cards with native HDMI

thanks for reading :tongue:

0 REPLIES 0