Join now - be part of our community!

How do you configure Wireless Switch Setting Utility, please?

1eyedjack
Explorer

How do you configure Wireless Switch Setting Utility, please?

I have a Vaio VGN-AR71J running Vista premium. There are two user accounts, one with administrator rights and one with standard user rights. Whenever I log on with standard rights I am prompted that a program "Wireless Switch Setting Utility" requires my permission to proceed before it will connect to the wireless router, and to do this I have to enter the password for the administrator account. I would prefer to bypass that prompt and automatically connect to the wireless router when logging on to the standard account, without being prompted to enter the admin password. Any ideas?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi 1eyedjack,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

not sure if this first solution will work..

1) Login using an Administrator account then as before.

Double click on Computer, then Local Disk (C:)

Then double click on Program Files, followed by Sony.

Finally double click on Wireless Switch Setting Utility.

Right click on Switcher.exe and select Properties.

In the Properties window select the Security tab

Select edit and click Continue on the User Account Control window.

Highlight Users and place a tick in full control, then click apply

Does that stop the User Account prompt.?

If the above fails, then try this...

2) Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools then click Task Scheduler..

Click Continue on the User Account Control window.

In task scheduler window you should see three sections, Overview of Task Scheduler, then below this Task Status and finally at the bottom Active tasks..

In task scheduler go to the bottom section of the centre column (called active tasks)

Double click WSSU and in the new window, on the right hand column, click on Properties.

In the WSSU Properties window select the General tab, then click the Change User or Groupbutton.

In the section below Enter the object name to select type Administrator, then click Check Names..

The entry should change to \Administrator. Click OK and then OK in the WSSU Properties window..

Restart your Vaio..

1eyedjack
Explorer

Hi, and thanks for helping.

The first solution did not work, I regret to say.

I am having problems following the instructions for the second solution.

I find the entry WSSU in the task scheduler, no problem there.
It has a plus sign to the left of it.
When I doubleclick on it, it expands the tree and lists several instances of WSSU, the top one of which says it is "running" and all the others are listed as "success".
Doublicking on any of these entries seems to have no effect, nor does rightclicking. So I cannot get as far as seeing any "properties" to select.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I find the entry WSSU in the task scheduler, no problem there.
It has a plus sign to the left of it.

In task scheduler go to the bottom section of the centre column (called active tasks) I think you may be looking in the middle section Task Status.. :thinking:

1eyedjack
Explorer

You da man! Your assumption was of course correct and 2nd solution worked. Problem solved.

Out of interest I should be interested to know whether the original settings were by design or by oversight. It seems a hell of a palava for every new Vaio-owner to go through. Am I likely to be in a small minority of users who would like a standard-rights user automatic access to a wireless network?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile:

I guess it's possible that all Vaio owners that set up user accounts could have the same problem.. :thinking:

1eyedjack
Explorer

I think it is pretty standard best security practice to run two user accounts - one with administrator rights (for when you need them) and one with standard rights (for every-day use when, generally, admin rights are not required). If this problem is presented to every user who configures their machine this way, it should I think have become apparent by now.