Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 Problems

NoCanDo
Visitor

CD/DVD QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 Problems

Hi there

I've had my Vaio VGN-BX51XP for nearly a year and have been generally pleased. However, one problem exists:

The CD/DVD writer is a QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 (VGP-DRWBX2)and it will not recognise a Microsoft HUP Office Enterprise 2007 DVD-ROM disc (genuine, supplied by Microsoft)(Note: this disc will work without issue in a different PC). It sounds as though the CD/DVD is trying to access the disc at first but then it continues to do this and the ONLY way to stop it is to eject the disc. Using My Computer to try and access the disc locks up the PC.

The unit will recognise other CDs/play DVDs, has written a new set of recovery discs. A complete recovery has been undertaken - as advised by yourselves and still no joy.

E-mail to Microsoft has suggested they do not support this drive (sorry cannot find e-mail).

Am unable to locate any firmware/software updates.

I have also trawled through the forum thread:

"IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>
Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the"

but am unable to find any solution.

Your suggestions would be welcommed as it is getting a little frustrating - NoCanDo

2 REPLIES 2
NoCanDo
Visitor

Hi have received e-mail from Microsoft regarding their product's compatability with the QSI drive:

"We can confirm that we have investigated the issue and unfortunately
certain DVD-drives are not compatible with the media. We would advise
you to connect your computer to an external DVD drive and install Office
2007 from there. We would also suggest to copy a back up file onto your
computer then to enable you to start the installation from your computer
directly should this become necessary at a later date.

We do understand that this may lead to some frustration at this time and
apologise accordingly for it, but those compatibility issues are an
exception and therefore we are unable to change the media type for
Office Enterprise 2007 as it works perfectly with all other known
drives." (Extract taken from e-mail received today from "HUPVALUE@msdirectservices.com"

Looks like I'll have to progress this further with Sony.

Watch this space!

NoCanDo

The CD/DVD writer is a QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 (VGP-DRWBX2)and it will not recognise a Microsoft HUP Office Enterprise 2007 DVD-ROM disc (genuine, supplied by Microsoft)(Note: this disc will work without issue in a different PC). It sounds as though the CD/DVD is trying to access the disc at first but then it continues to do this and the ONLY way to stop it is to eject the disc. Using My Computer to try and access the disc locks up the PC.

The unit will recognise other CDs/play DVDs, has written a new set of recovery discs. A complete recovery has been undertaken - as advised by yourselves and still no joy.

E-mail to Microsoft has suggested they do not support this drive (sorry cannot find e-mail).

NoCanDo
Visitor

No joy - with Sony!

Staff did not ring me back - I've had to ring for updates.

Updates are always the same - there is a compatability issue between the disc drive and the Microsoft disc. Even though there is nothing wrong with either the disc or the drive Sony will NOT do anything to assist quote:

"Nothing you can do for me."

The ONLY solutions offered by sony are:
Get back to Microsoft and find where the software can be downloaded from (with the possibility of download cost if download limits are exceeded).
Use another PC a DELL or a TOSHIBA or an HP or and ASUS for example (not a sony obviously), and copy the data to another disc and install from that.

The solutions offered by Microsoft are:
Obtain a stand alone DVD drive and install from there.

I do not believe that the support offered for the failure to read a disc by the DVD drive has been sufficiently remedied - in fact no remedy at all!

If I hear anymore I will post that too!

Take care with your disc drive!